Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

SGL 2017 SP

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
niallk

On My Knees for Saturn!

5 posts in this topic

I wanted to catch Saturn for the first time this year, and it has been a beautiful evening here, so I headed down to the coast to chance it.  I knew it was going to be low, so I tempered my hopes.  I had checked the jetstream forecast so I had a teeny bit of optimism, and warm temperatures meant observing in a T-shirt, and also no major temp differentials around my mirror. Got there as sunset slowly began - lovely calm night, with the birds on the marsh land calling, the waves lapping softly on the beach.

IMG_20170618_225900703.thumb.jpg.7a01cb36d9bd75c2c5dca080bbec0f9f.jpg

Saturn was at 14° altitude, right down in the haze near the horizon, so I was kneeling on the ground at the EP :) Put in a 10E, then an 8E for ~250x.  The view was crisp - some slowly varying seeing, but exceeding what I could have dared to hope for! The Cassini division was clearly visible, with a clear colour difference between the A and B rings.  I forgot to concentrate on trying to discern the C ring - but suffice to say it wasn't obvious!  From time to time I even thought that I might just be seeing the Encke minima. The was strong equatorial banding on the planet, along with some more banding hues towards the north pole - which was darker near the 'cap'. There was a hint of dark shadow either side of the pole on the rings - it appeared very minimal to me.  Dione, Titan, Tethys, Iapetus and Rhea were visible, Enceladus fleetingly with averted vision, and I later saw that Mimas was behind the disc on Sky Safari.

I was delighted with the views, well worth the lack of sleep and running on coffee in work today!

15 people like this

The guns of Navarone :icon_biggrin:.

3 people like this

Good result, great location.

1 person likes this

Super report and certainly a worth evening! :)

I was really impressed when I saw the marked colour of the equatorial belt. 

1 person likes this

Nice report, I wouldn't mind a bit of beach myself!

1 person likes this