Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield.jpg.36065d79cb2625eb299137a5b4432c96.jpg

Nyctimene    386
Posted (edited)

This morning, I was out for an unplanned session with the new Skywatcher Heritage 130 P Flextube. The waning moon's crescent hung over the eastern horizon, and despite a sub-average seeing, I was able to observe the "Lunar Buzz Saw"- phenomenon on the floor of Sinus Iridum. Near sunset, the Jura mountains cast jagged shadows, giving the mostly still illuminated crater floor the appearance of a curved saw blade. I had read about this clair-obscure phenomenon some months before (do not remember the source), and observed it now, by chance, for the first time - a very pleasing sight! Later on, I found an excellent drawing of this in Harold Hill's book "A Portfolio of Lunar Drawings" (p.88). Here's a LPOD photo:LPOD-Jan3-10.jpg

I continued with the crater Caroline Herschel; near it, the summits of Mons La Hire were still lit up on the already darkened moon floor. Delisle; Mons Delisle and Diophantes with the conspicuous Rima Diophantis. Aristarch; Herodot; Schröter's Valley. The session ended with a view at the Gruithuisen area with its craters and domes. Observations were made with the Seben Zoom 24-8mm, and the UWA 6 mmf, giving 108x. A first summer session - flip-flops instead of Moonboots, and the birds morning chorus; a good start of the day.  

Thanks for reading

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 11

cloudsweeper    2,059

Good session, Stephan.

Another example of how exciting astro is throughout the year.  And, Yes - it is good to be out in light gear!

Doug.

• Like 2

Paz    664

Nice report. One day I must get up early for some observing!

• Like 1

Piero    2,859

That's a lovely report! :icon_salut:

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

laudropb    5,810

Very nice report. This is one of my favourite areas of the Moon.

• Like 1

Pondus    585

Good lunar report there Stephan.

When weather and work  allows, I`ll try some early morning sessions too, both lunar and dso.

I honestly cant remember last time I observed a waning moon.

Rune

• Like 1

johnfosteruk    5,718

Nice report. I love this area, to be fair I love all the lunar areas, but I do love this one too :)

• Like 1