Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Luna at dawn

Nyctimene

This morning, I was out for an unplanned session with the new Skywatcher Heritage 130 P Flextube. The waning moon's crescent hung over the eastern horizon, and despite a sub-average seeing, I was able to observe the "Lunar Buzz Saw"- phenomenon on the floor of Sinus Iridum. Near sunset, the Jura mountains cast jagged shadows, giving the mostly still illuminated crater floor the appearance of a curved saw blade. I had read about this clair-obscure phenomenon some months before (do not remember the source), and observed it now, by chance, for the first time - a very pleasing sight! Later on, I found an excellent drawing of this in Harold Hill's book "A Portfolio of Lunar Drawings" (p.88). Here's a LPOD photo:LPOD-Jan3-10.jpg

I continued with the crater Caroline Herschel; near it, the summits of Mons La Hire were still lit up on the already darkened moon floor. Delisle; Mons Delisle and Diophantes with the conspicuous Rima Diophantis. Aristarch; Herodot; Schröter's Valley. The session ended with a view at the Gruithuisen area with its craters and domes. Observations were made with the Seben Zoom 24-8mm, and the UWA 6 mmf, giving 108x. A first summer session - flip-flops instead of Moonboots, and the birds morning chorus; a good start of the day.  

Thanks for reading

Stephan

Good lunar report there Stephan.

When weather and work  allows, I`ll try some early morning sessions too, both lunar and dso.

I honestly cant remember last time I observed a waning moon.

Rune

Archived