Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Yet more close doubles in Bootes

I've just packed up after a couple of hours observing and drawing yet more doubles in Bootes.  Tonight it has  all been close pairs, Mu Bootes, 39 Bootes, OE288 and OE298.  Closest was (according to Sissy Hass) just 1.1" separation.

Whilst the all too brief hours of darkness are a right pain, I could get seriously used to observing in shorts!

I was observing some doubles last night too; started off with Xi Bootes, then over to some tight doubles in Ursa Major, some of which where the leaps of the gazelle. To top it off Saturn was a great sight too, with the Cassini division been very prominent and clear, with details on the surface of Saturn as well. Thankfully no mozzies near me and keeping cool in tee-shirt and shorts! :) 

Me too! I think the light nights are forcing our hand :happy11:

I observed Zeta Herculis (for the first time with my 120ED) and Lambda Cygni (for the first time ever), and then after a stint on Jupiter, moved onto some old faves  Delta Cygni, Epsilon Bootis, Epsilon Lyrae, and Pi Aquilae to name a few. All at around 300x.

31 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Me too! I think the light nights are forcing our hand :happy11:

I observed Zeta Herculis (for the first time with my 120ED) and Lambda Cygni (for the first time ever), and then after a stint on Jupiter, moved onto some old faves  Delta Cygni, Epsilon Bootis, Epsilon Lyrae, and Pi Aquilae to name a few. All at around 300x.

How does Zeta Her look through the 120ED? Always a tricky little devil.....

Chris

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

It did come and go a bit of course but was holding for reasonably long periods so the seeing must have been decent.

I can't believe how good the seeing has been for the last two nights.  Given the high temperatures I would have expected the heat radiating off the ground to create all sorts of problems.

1 hour ago, michaelmorris said:

I can't believe how good the seeing has been for the last two nights.  Given the high temperatures I would have expected the heat radiating off the ground to create all sorts of problems.

I has been pretty good :smiley:

Here is my sketch of zeta herc done a couple of years back when I 1st split it with my ED120:

zherc.jpg

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

I'd say that the 180mm Mak view approximates what I was seeing. I was using binoviewers. I wonder if this made a difference to the sharpness somehow.

Sometimes, if you dim the view (more mag, ND filter or maybe splitting the beam with a BV) the split looks more obvious as the minimum between the two disks is less obvious.

Chris

5 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

...quite a catch with 120 mm aperture, although it's just about split with my 127 Mak as well, which is about 120mm ca.! These are simulations (Aberrator) using the latest WDS data for the pair.

Chris

Zeta Herculis separation.jpg

The 120mm frac view looks very much like what my Tak FC 100 delivers at around 300x :icon_biggrin:

Nice sketches Shane :icon_biggrin:

The secondary star reminds me of a small piece of grey "blu tack" almost, but not quite, stuck to the side of the primary at times with the 1st diffraction ring running through it.

Flippin good scopes, the ED120's :icon_biggrin:

I like the "Blu Tak" description, very apt! I am no good at drawing (artistic skills of a carrot, as my art teacher put it) so I've tried to image it on a number of occasions - the best I've done  was with my 127 Mak and a Philips webcam (below). This was about two years ago, so the pair would have been slightly closer - with a period around 30 years, you can really see the changes, particularly in PA!

Chris

zetahercfa.jpg

Archived