SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How Do I Recover Stellarium Settings

I updated my copy of stellarium and it's lost everything, not just my scopes and sensors, but everything from my location and preferneces to those huge star catalogues you have to download and extra DSO and comet information. It's not just a configuration file it's all my data files.

I can use my history backup to find the deleted data, but what do I need to find, where will it and where do I need to put it, and if I just copy it across will it work?

I won't bother asking why it's deleted everything...

All the configuration files including the star catalogues are located in

C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Stellarium

There are several folders there called Data, Landscapes, Modules, Stars as well as the config.ini file which holds your preferences. Oculars and other data files are in the Modules folder. The star calalogues are in the Stars folder.

If you find your backup files, just copy them to the location above and Stellarium should be back to how it was. I periodically save that location as a backup and if I install Stellarium on another machine I just copy the backup to the new machines location and your settings are just like your previous machine.

This may not work correctly if you use backup from a very old Stellarium version, as I believe the format of the config files has changed with a major revision of Stellarium.

On 6/18/2017 at 14:36, Stub Mandrel said:

I updated my copy of stellarium and it's lost everything, not just my scopes and sensors, but everything from my location and preferneces to those huge star catalogues you have to download and extra DSO and comet information. It's not just a configuration file it's all my data files.

I can use my history backup to find the deleted data, but what do I need to find, where will it and where do I need to put it, and if I just copy it across will it work?

I won't bother asking why it's deleted everything...

Dang Neil, I did that once as well. Seems to me it was 15.1 or 15.2 update.

Luckily for me, I have 3 computers here that 'mirror' each other, so I was able to reenter the data manually from one to the other.

But once I got my 15.0 version repaired, I haven't done much else with it, I updated the comets catalog not long ago. That's been nice.

But it is a pity the updates seem to obliterate the resident copy.

I did not care for the updated version anyway, since I'm one of those Windows Classic sort of folks. Lean, mean, not to colorful machine. I don't even like App's, but I had to choke them down.

Updates should not destroy the resident copy.

6 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Darn, I don't have file history switched on for system files!

Struggling to locate the backup I don't want to do a full system restore!

The first time I ever used the system restore I was scared. But it restores your computer to an earlier time. Like before you did the update to Stellarium.

It doesn't mess up your files, just turns back the clock a bit. A nice feature actually.

Your situation would be ideal for it.

45 minutes ago, SonnyE said:

The first time I ever used the system restore I was scared. But it restores your computer to an earlier time. Like before you did the update to Stellarium.

It doesn't mess up your files, just turns back the clock a bit. A nice feature actually.

Your situation would be ideal for it.

Unfortunately I didn't notice of a couple of weeks and have added/altered other software and done a massive W10 update that I would have to endure again. :sad2:

41 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Unfortunately I didn't notice of a couple of weeks and have added/altered other software and done a massive W10 update that I would have to endure again. :sad2:

Well, there is the manual restoration of the settings. They may come back to you as you go through the steps and settings.

Sorry you are going through this Neil. I too, learned the hard way.

Just pick your way through it. You got there before, you will again.

Possibly one or more of these could help?

Archived