SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Roll Off Roof. Has anyone used this Ebay item? 252826831189

jACK101

I have found an item 252826831189 on Ebay which I think could be modified for an observatory sliding roof. It is a sliding door gear and the maximum door weight is 200 pounds. Clearly 2 tracks would be required, so total safe load would be 400 pounds or roughly 180KGS.

This would be strong enough to allow me to work on top of the roof to felt it.

Any comments?

Jack

It is not meant for anything else but hanging weight. The metal straps are of no use for supporting a weight the other way around. Use channel bar and castors of sufficient strength or angle upturned (apex up) to support a castor with the correct v configuration. Breaking ones neck is not a great way to go.  :)

Derek

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

My engineering head says the SWL is only in the vertical axis (door hanging from rail) . Is it strong enough to allow you to work on top of the roof ? My enginnering/safety head says always find a safer way to work. Why not remove the roof and work at ground level ?

Peter,

I think that the working load would be in the vertical direction in my application. My idea is to screw or bolt a substantial upstand to the brackets and then build the roof on top of the upstand. All of the load would then be vertically downwards.

In addition, I think it might also be possible to add a section of hardwood behind the bracket to stop the roof being lifted. There would have to be additional methods to stop the roof being blown off.

Thanks for the replies

Jack

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Someone posted a couple of weeks ago using something similar but more substantial you can probably find their post with a bit of a search.

Dave

It was .....  like a giant kitchen drawer runner, perhaps it's in use ?   roof material looks lightweight.

Archived