Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wizard's Nebula in Ha

Finally a clear night....albeit it only a few hours! Struggling to get a full set of LRGB data at the moment - mostly because of other stuff going on in my life, so thought I would stick to Ha for a while and hone my processing skills...although I did very little with this one. Just stacked in DSS and fiddled with curves and levels in PS.

Just 5x1800s Ha 1x1 with 4 Darks, BIAS and FLATS. I like what this small amount of data is showing and will try adding more data over the summer to improve it.

Was even happier that I managed to get 30 minute exposure from my fast and dirty polar alignement

ED80 on NEQ6 Pro, ATIK 414ex and Baader Ha filter

wizard 4.jpg

Nice Marky.  The stars are round and tight across the field.  Noise levels should go down if you get more subs.  You have some of these annoying black dots that I see from time to time.  I'm never sure what causes these.  Do you dither?

7 minutes ago, gnomus said:

Do you dither?

Only when trying to decide what to buy next from FLO!

**boom-tish**

Thanks Mr G.... As for the black dots,I am not sure I even noticed them, but will now be looking! I don't dither at the moment, as I am not 100% sure how to do so in ARTEMIS, but will look into this as I know it should help!

I do hope that you are: (a) not planning on giving up the day job; or (b) considering hiring better writers.  

Maybe I'm imagining the black dots.  It's a corker and it should really be in the full 'Imaging' thead not the 'Getting Started' one.   You are in good company liking Artemis (that is one of the programs that a certain M. Penrice uses).  I find it a little antediluvian though (unlike, ahem, ahem, M. Penrice).  Have you tried the 45 day fully functional trial of SGP?  The plate solving alone is going to make your life much easier.

I'll have you know I write all my own material!

Thanks!

I like antediluvian! Keep it simple is my motto... (ell, not really, but maybe it shouls be!) - not had too many problems with finding targets on subsequent nights yet, so have been reluctant to start getting into things like plate solving as yet, as I don't want to find myself losing rare imaging time as I fluff my set up with new software! I have learned not to look for solutions for problems I don't yet have :-) Not looked much at SGP though, so not sure I was aware of the free trial, so may have a look now you mention it, thanks for the heads up! But I DO like ARTEMIS, it is so simple and just works.... :-)

8 minutes ago, Marky1973 said:

I'll have you know I write all my own material!

Thanks!

I like antediluvian! Keep it simple is my motto... (ell, not really, but maybe it shouls be!) - not had too many problems with finding targets on subsequent nights yet, so have been reluctant to start getting into things like plate solving as yet, as I don't want to find myself losing rare imaging time as I fluff my set up with new software! I have learned not to look for solutions for problems I don't yet have :-) Not looked much at SGP though, so not sure I was aware of the free trial, so may have a look now you mention it, thanks for the heads up! But I DO like ARTEMIS, it is so simple and just works.... :-)

You take the blue pill ... the story ends.  You wake up and you've never heard of SGP and Plate Solving.   You take the red pill ....

6 minutes ago, John78 said:

Alright, noob question, why is there diffraction spikes?  I'd be super happy with a picture like that :)

Either Marky has added them in PS or 'microlensing'.

1 hour ago, John78 said:

Alright, noob question, why is there diffraction spikes?  I'd be super happy with a picture like that :)

Definitely PS as I have no idea what microlensing is.... :-) I used Noel Carboni's toolset for PS....I was just fiddling around really. I quite like diffraction spikes, but it can (IMHO) make a picture look a little twee if you over do them!

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Nice image Marky, I've found black spots can be caused by a bad, bad pixel map.

Dave

Now I am going to have to look into pixel mapping! :-) If it's not one thing.....at least I remembered to remove the Bahtinov mask before starting my run this time....... :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, added another couple of hours and had a play, this time in PI with bit more time on my hands.....but....out of curiosity, I would love to hear which image people prefer and why....I seem to be finding the capture side of things fairly straight-forward at the moment, but am much more finnicky with processing and struggle to settle on an image with tweaking....possibly too much...

Cheers

Mark

integration_DBE_clone1a.jpg

Have you collected more calibration frames, if not get a lot more.

As Mr gnomus, it's a bit over the top, knock it back a bit.

Even though you got another two hours it's not that many subs, aim for 20 to 30 at least, more if you can.
Think you have the makings of something really good, just more of everything.

Will do! I stuck with the original calibration frames I took - I figured I can get away with that as I don't move the camera/filter wheel etc between sessions....might grab a few more darks when I get the chance.....the windows of opportunity are just so narrow at this time of year! :-)

On 6/18/2017 at 14:04, Marky1973 said:

Can I take one of each?

If you do you'll look like a fast graph in PHD at a y axis of 1.

Kind of like too much strong coffee... :icon_bounce:

I like image 1 best, but both have those black holes in them. Maybe a little star shifting? :wink:

yeah I need to get into dithering I think Sonny, sort out those black spots!

Had a look at the two images on another screen today and the second looks badly stretched compared to my home laptop/phone, so can really see what people were talking about now....have made this a summer project so will keep trying to get more subs whenever there is a clear night!

Archived