SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Shopping List

SAW

Not sure if it will work with Mac, but as you say you have Win7 installed I'd go with Cartes du Ciel for telescope control. I did try Stellarium / Stellarium Scope (You need both) but found them flakey to say the least. Also add EQMOD as you have a Skywatcher mount, it'll connect to PHD2 for guiding, and the Polar Alignment tool is very good.

I used to use AstroArt for capture, and still do for processing, it's now up to V6. The only reason I don't use it for capture anymore is that I use Maxim DL which my mount control software needs.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/software/astroart-v6-image-capture-processing-package.html

It also come with a real manual hooray!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, SAW said:

Hi,

You've probably seen loads of posts from me asking questions :help: I'm just getting together a list of items I need to get me started in imaging. So far I have,

ED80

Heq5

D600 modded

.85 reducer/flattener

DSLR M48 Ring adaptor

Is there anything else I'm going to need to start imaging ? I have a Mac but not sure how to connect it all up yet but not worried to much about that unless there is some special cable I need ! I've got a few power supplies I can use.

What about eyepieces for viewing ?

1 hour ago, gnomus said:

Good points from Grierson.  Do yourself a favour and get hold of some decent capture software.  Backyard EOS gets good reviews.  I used APT when I was doing DSLR stuff.  I now use SGP which I think works with DSLRs but I have never tried it.  

59 minutes ago, SAW said:

I'll want to easiest software to use to start with :-) is there a 'do it all program' rather than having to use multiple programs ?

Nobody has mentioned processing software yet. If you do a major investment in subs collection, then what are you going to do with those quality images? Make a good processing package part of your investment. It's probably going to end up as your next best 'bang for bucks'. Right after a Bahtinov mask.

Archived