Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello. Just bought my first scope a nexstar 5se

Waw15

Hi.

Just set up my new scope and viewed both  Jupiter and Saturn.  Class and very clear using the standard 25mm.

Think I should buy a 2x barlow lens . Any recommendations or ideas of what lens I should purchase?

Many Thanks 

Hi Waw15, and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

I tested my 're-modded' Meade ETX-105; https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/294717-my-modded-meade-etx105-ota-part-4-the-re-mod/; which is a bit smaller in aperture than yours a few nights ago on Saturn, Jupiter and Virgo, (where Jupiter is currently residing). Catadioptric telescopes; (ie Maks & SCT's); do have a narrow field of view. I only had to touch it and lose what I was observing when used with a an AstroBoot 18mm wide angle and a 2.8x Klee Barlow lens. Even when I use the same eyepiece/Barlow lens combo in my Celestron C6 SCT it is way too much. BTW - it is OK with my TeleVue Ranger.

Other members will offer their opinions, but personally I would not.

Don't be tempted to buy an eyepiece set either. You may only end up using a few of the supplied eyepieces. Therefore buy individually and not necessarily from the manufacturer of your 'scope. As long as it accepts 1.25" you will be fine.

Greetings and welcome to SGL - it's nice of you to join us!

As Philip pointed towards - beware of the urge to start buying a shipload of goodies to go with your new scope. Get used to what it can do with what you have, and then see what you'd really feel would be best things for it. Like an eyepiece or two with a determined goal of what you'd like it to do for you. This will save you from what so many of us have - such as sets of pretty colour-filters that have never been touched. Or a 5X Barlow that would be impossible to use with one's equipment. Most of us will see ourselves in this caution! :D

Don't worry. The stars aren't going anywhere for a long time. Take your time to find what would be the best for you and your personal goals.

And we love finding answers to questions here, so always feel free to ask yours in these many forums!

Starry Skies,

Dave

Hi - nice telescope.  Very portable, and you'll like the GoTo capability.

The EP supplied will give you a mag of x50 at a True Field Of Vision of about one degree (two full Moons).

A Revelation 40mm EP (only about £32) will give x31 at 1.44 degrees, which will be much better to view, and will give you some "leeway" in the event of the GoTo being  less than dead accurate (which it often is, depending on data entered and alignment).

Have fun!

Doug.

10 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

As Philip pointed towards - beware of the urge to start buying a shipload of goodies to go with your new scope.

Hey, welcome. It only gets more expensive from here...

But as @Dave In Vermont says, we can help you save money. 

Don't buy a Lumicon Oiii filter !! ?

That's $100 I've saved you... 

Eh Dave ?? ?

Archived