Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield.jpg.36065d79cb2625eb299137a5b4432c96.jpg

Moonshane    10,038

Hi all

I just saw three 'satellites' emerge from almost the exact area of the sky where Jupiter was at 22.52pm (we are in Stockport) and they looked like Jupiter was shooting off a Roman Candle! Fantastic thing to see and something I have never seen before

Two went straight up and the other towards Porrima.

Anyone have access to any software that could confirm what I saw please?

Moonshane    10,038

before you ask, I've only had one can.

• Like 1

Charic    2,014
Posted (edited)

Anything here to help..........https://celestrak.com/software/satellite/sat-trak.asp 
I'm envious of seeing anything this time of the Year?
This image, looking South, was taken at 2304 with no editing, straight from the iphone. The image appears just a tad  brighter than the visual image, but not by much at the time, and with the ever present clouds of 2017  Ive got no chance!

IMG_1444.JPG

Edited by Charic

Moonshane    10,038

cheers Charic

ouch. I thought it was bad here.

Not sure about downloading software as I have no idea which one would work for me or even if it does what I need it to do?

I am hoping someone already runs such a program and can tell me :happy11:

wxsatuser    3,466

Stellarium with satellite plugin should show them.

There were a few around that time but not exactly at your time, Stellarium is set for my location, south coast.

Moonshane    10,038

cheers Mike

I might have to download it then! I never really use software for obs.

Mr niall    383

I've got the satellite bundle for star walk 2 on my iPad. When I set it for Stockport, these guys are the most likely candidates, all did a couple of sweeps until the wee small hours.

IMG_0836.PNG

IMG_0837.PNG

IMG_0838.PNG

Moonshane    10,038

cheers buddy. The path of the first was about right but half an hour too early. All three were about the brightness of Jupiter and emerged within a  minute of each other along similar paths. the first two were visible together and the third a few seconds later. I'll do some more digging myself in due course.

I have been observing the sun today and assuming they were satellites, I was seeing about one per minute cross the disk, so in such a small area of sky suggests there are a lot up there!

• Like 2

Charic    2,014

There's probably in excess of 1500 active satellites up there, not including all the junk and debris?