Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

niallk

First look through a Ha Scope

niallk    1,488

I took a trip up from Cork to Dunsink Observatory in Dublin hoping to have a look through some solar scopes today. There is a 'Solarfest' event on, and the weather couldn't be better here :)

I met a group of very nice and friendly people, several very generously sharing the views through their fantastic equipment!

Truth be told, I've only ever looked through my own 2 scopes: so it was a thrill to see all the equipment: a TV101 with a Ha filter, an OO VX8L with a film filter, a PST, a 60mm Coronado Solar Max II, an SW 80ED and a 60mm Tak with white light filters.  But a Lunt 50 with double stack and pressure tuner stole the show: seriously incredible views of sunspots, plage, filaments, faculae, and some beautiful prominences - through a TV binoviewer with 20mm plossls - full disc view.  I was absolutely gobsmacked. Totally worth the time and diesel to get to see it with my own eyes :) Enormous thanks to the sound bloke who kindly let me use his fantastic equipment - several times... I kept coming back for more.

Well, I now know the enormous difference that the double stack makes... I had toyed with the idea of a PST some time.  Those mind blowing views through the Lunt are burned into my memory...

How much does a kidney go for on the 'net these days??

• Like 13

xtreemchaos    9,851

great report mate, there was some nice kit there then, did you get a chance to look through a Quark set up, you can get one for half a kidney :icon_biggrin: ?. charl.

• Like 2

niallk    1,488

Ha ha - unfortunately no quarks there today - yes I'd love to look through one of those too!

There was also the 12" Grubb refractor housed in the old observatory: wonderful to see and hear the history of it.  I'd love to compare the views of Jupiter through it to what I get to see with my dobs!

I have to say it again though: the double stacked Lunt was just incredible.  It's going to be playing on my mind the next time I've my Baader film out :grin:

cotterless45    8,622

Been up to same thing , first  light with a Lunt 35 Ha. Absolutely bowled over , set it up beside my 90 with white light Baader film filter, just ace,

IMG_4957.thumb.JPG.5a744676363c754b69ff6c201808087e.JPG

• Like 3

Ibbo!    4,484

Hide the credit card :biggrin:

• Like 3

Pig    4,822

Nice one..... this is the point where it starts to get expensive, but well worth it 🌻

• Like 2

niallk    1,488

Yeah: expensive!  I tend to agree that the views are worth it - just superb.

My Ethos EPs might be right to feel nervous...

• Like 2

Pig    4,822
43 minutes ago, niallk said:

Yeah: expensive!  I tend to agree that the views are worth it - just superb.

My Ethos EPs might be right to feel nervous...

It's best to have both 😀 Keep as many options open as possible with our weather.

• Like 1

Macavity    2,829

I always see an "upgrade" as a 30-50% supplement...
Sadly, Solar Scopes obey no *normal* pricing laws. :p

• Like 1

YKSE    2,068
Posted (edited)

very nice report:thumbsup:

As you can get along with binoviewer, I'd think you get cheaper EP options for better Solar, planetary viewing than 100° EPs.:smiley:

Edited by YKSE
  • Like 2

niallk    1,488

Oh to live in the US!!

$1900 or €1690 for a double stacked LS50 vs €3000 bought in the EU.

:undecided:

• Like 1

johnfosteruk    5,718

11 minutes ago, niallk said:

Oh to live in the US!!

$1900 or €1690 for a double stacked LS50 vs €3000 bought in the EU.

:undecided:

It's worth it though. Just remember those views yesterday. 

Ill spend your money for you. 😄💰 

• Like 1

niallk    1,488

That's the problem: it would be far cheaper if I could forget them! :grin:

niallk    1,488

Bit - or clicked - the bullet: LS50 B600 on clearance offer with FLO :)

Fingers crossed now... !!!

I'll see how I get on 'single stacked', and start saving again for a DS ;)

• Like 2

tooth_dr    784
14 minutes ago, niallk said:

Brilliant. Great move! I love my Lunt 

• Like 1

Tyson M    709
Posted (edited)

My Lunt 60mm  PT b1200 scope is the most expensive and also the nicest telescope I own. Build quality is first rate. 

The 50's are a bit finicky for imaging and hard on eyepieces IMO. The focal length on the 60 is just right, and I like the focuser more. None of that is deal breakers.

You can buy a new focuser or different eyepieces that work better for the 50, cheap eyepieces works great but you may need eye relief, in my case. Binoviewers would help with that, and apparently are highly recommended with Solar. I have yet to try, but I'll buy a WO set to try some day. 

Either way, you simply can't go wrong. Buy new. You get warranty and subsequently worry free. 

I knew what I wanted, after views through the 50, I sold it and busted out the credit card and was broke for a few months but this is a lifetime scope.

Eventually I'll double stack. Even if I got a quark down the road,  for quick views in between the clouds , the grab and go instant nature of a solar scope will ensure it will be your most used scope. 

I am up to 19 Solar sessions this year so far. It really helps me maintain sanity with dry spells of night viewing. 

Edited by Tyson M
  • Like 3

Tyson M    709

Oh and you can even view through thin wispy cloud. The sun is very bright and the filtration is strong.  Or through glass windows from inside your house. 

That's the closest to a cloud breaker you'll get in this hobby. :p

• Like 1

niallk    1,488

Great comments Tyson M - thanks!

I'll be using it for visual only, and hope that my Pan24, 13T6, 7T6 plus 2.5x PM will work ok in this scope.  I do have a binoviewer plus two TV 15mm plossls: but will have to look into focusing/GPC requirements for this scope.

I bought it from FLO on clearance: 28% off as it was a customer return: it justed needed a new o-ring plus greasing.  I decided that I couldn't pass it by at that price.  It is reported to be working very well, and is treated as new: full manufacturers warranty.  Hopefully all in order, and I've read so many threads that I have been prepared for contacting Lunt for the o-rings/grease kit: the way I'm looking at it, this has been taken care of and the good folk at FLO have tested it.

I'm looking at mounting on a SW AZ5 Deluxe.

Fingers plus toes crossed.

Congrats on the LS60T PT B1200 - that's a beautiful scope. I've realized that it was one of these double stacked with a LS50FHA that I viewed through: just incredible :thumbsup:

niallk    1,488
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Brilliant. Great move! I love my Lunt 

Thanks tooth_dr!! :)

Edited by niallk

Tyson M    709

I have the 13mm t6. Great eyepiece, can't use it all the time though. The  24 Pan as a finder. 

The 15mm plossl may be used more. Daytime seeing is fickle. I doubt the 7mm will be used much, YMMV. 

Don't discount the idea of a 17-18mm eyepiece. Or a quality zoom. Zoom is very nice for mono viewing to dial in the variable seeing.

A cheap celestron zoom has been working fairly good but by far the best eyepiece I have used in my 60 was the 22 Pan. I reckon a 17.3 delos would be a killer focal length to have for solar. , it would compliment the 24 Pan.  

The binoviewer will like need the 2 x Barlow, but I can't speak about it cause I haven't used one. 

• Like 1

Paz    664
On 07/31/2017 at 20:12, niallk said:

Look forward to hearing your experiences with this - I'm interested in a ha set up at some point in the future and am starting to make a mental note of the comments and posts  I come across for future reference.

• Like 1

niallk    1,488
Posted (edited)

@Paz There's another LS50 on clearance from FLO... plus one with a FT focuser in the For Sale section :evil: :grin:

Edited by niallk
  • Like 1

Paz    664
1 minute ago, niallk said:

@Paz There's another LS50 on clearance from FLO... plus one with a FT focuser in the Front Sale section :evil: :grin:

Lol, fortunately for me I am a pathological reseacher/reflector and I'm therefore incapable of buying anything on impulse, there is also the issue of long lead times for securing political approval!

• Like 1