Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_jupiter.jpg

niallk

First look through a Ha Scope

13 posts in this topic

I took a trip up from Cork to Dunsink Observatory in Dublin hoping to have a look through some solar scopes today. There is a 'Solarfest' event on, and the weather couldn't be better here :)

I met a group of very nice and friendly people, several very generously sharing the views through their fantastic equipment!

Truth be told, I've only ever looked through my own 2 scopes: so it was a thrill to see all the equipment: a TV101 with a Ha filter, an OO VX8L with a film filter, a PST, a 60mm Coronado Solar Max II, an SW 80ED and a 60mm Tak with white light filters.  But a Lunt 50 with double stack and pressure tuner stole the show: seriously incredible views of sunspots, plage, filaments, faculae, and some beautiful prominences - through a TV binoviewer with 20mm plossls - full disc view.  I was absolutely gobsmacked. Totally worth the time and diesel to get to see it with my own eyes :) Enormous thanks to the sound bloke who kindly let me use his fantastic equipment - several times... I kept coming back for more.

Well, I now know the enormous difference that the double stack makes... I had toyed with the idea of a PST some time.  Those mind blowing views through the Lunt are burned into my memory...

How much does a kidney go for on the 'net these days??

13 people like this

great report mate, there was some nice kit there then, did you get a chance to look through a Quark set up, you can get one for half a kidney :icon_biggrin: ?. charl.

2 people like this

Ha ha - unfortunately no quarks there today - yes I'd love to look through one of those too!

There was also the 12" Grubb refractor housed in the old observatory: wonderful to see and hear the history of it.  I'd love to compare the views of Jupiter through it to what I get to see with my dobs!

I have to say it again though: the double stacked Lunt was just incredible.  It's going to be playing on my mind the next time I've my Baader film out :grin:

Been up to same thing , first  light with a Lunt 35 Ha. Absolutely bowled over , set it up beside my 90 with white light Baader film filter, just ace,

IMG_4957.thumb.JPG.5a744676363c754b69ff6c201808087e.JPG

3 people like this

Hide the credit card :biggrin:

2 people like this

Nice one..... this is the point where it starts to get expensive, but well worth it 🌻

1 person likes this

Yeah: expensive!  I tend to agree that the views are worth it - just superb.

My Ethos EPs might be right to feel nervous...

1 person likes this

43 minutes ago, niallk said:

Yeah: expensive!  I tend to agree that the views are worth it - just superb.

My Ethos EPs might be right to feel nervous...

It's best to have both 😀 Keep as many options open as possible with our weather.

1 person likes this

I always see an "upgrade" as a 30-50% supplement...
Sadly, Solar Scopes obey no *normal* pricing laws. :p

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

very nice report:thumbsup:

As you can get along with binoviewer, I'd think you get cheaper EP options for better Solar, planetary viewing than 100° EPs.:smiley:

Edited by YKSE
1 person likes this

Oh to live in the US!!

$1900 or €1690 for a double stacked LS50 vs €3000 bought in the EU.

:undecided:

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, niallk said:

Oh to live in the US!!

$1900 or €1690 for a double stacked LS50 vs €3000 bought in the EU.

:undecided:

It's worth it though. Just remember those views yesterday. 

Ill spend your money for you. 😄💰 

1 person likes this

That's the problem: it would be far cheaper if I could forget them! :grin: