Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QSI683 or Moravian G4-16000 for FSQ85?

kirkster501

I'm camera musing again.....  I had a pleasant surprise after I did my tax return :)  Mr Hammond owes me a few bob....

A camera for my FSQ85.  I am 90% sure I am going to get a QSI683 and put Astrodon 31mm LRGB and Ha 3nm into it.  QSI683 can do all the Ha regions and subjects I want very well from playing on Blackwater skies.  So it seems perfect.  That said, I got looking at the 16000 sensor cameras as well.  More future proof maybe but not sure I need such a wide field.  Also the Moravian one only has five filter positions so if I want to get into OIII or Sulphur one day then that's going to be tricky.  Could go for the Atik 16000 chip but that needs EFW2 with 2" filters and wheel still also 2" Astrodons are out of the question, I have to be realistic and sensible.

Also I am aware of some issues with focuser tilt on the CAA on teh FSQ85 that the likes of Barry has fixed with the [not inconsiderable] cost of a Feathetrouch focuser for the FSQ.

Hmm, not really asking a question at all just musing openly.....  I think the QSI and Astrodons ticks the boxes for me. Up close on the galaxies is covered with the TEC140 and Atik 460 so that kind of subject is not a consideration.

Whaddyathink?

Does the imaging circle of the 85 cover the large chip? I'd want to see real life evidence before taking the plunge :)

As for tilt..... I've got none on either of mine, so an expensive FT upgrade won't necessarily be needed 

Thanks Sara I am just musing. I may be ringing Ian King next week :)   I have no tilt on mine either, or at least none that can be seen at F3.9 on a smaller chip like the Atik 460.  A larger chip may be different...... Do not want to have to upgrade the FSQ to a 106.

I'm not sure I have a great deal to add to what has been said elsewhere.  I would pay particular attention to Sara's point about the imaging circle of the FSQ85 - it may well not handle the bigger chip.  

And QSI is a great camera - if you got it flaunt it baby and all that.  But I must point out that the Moravians can be fitted with a wheel with as many slots as you want.  (My G2-8300 has 10 slots, for example) and they still work with one USB and one power cable.  

But I have an alternative suggestion for you, Steve.  How about you forego the tax rebate and leave it in the exchequer?  Those with the broadest shoulders, and all that ......   :evil4:

I think Gnomus is right, the honourable thing would indeed be to leave the money with the exchequer ........ however, back to the real world, I remember an old expression 'no one ever got fired for buying an IBM' swap QSI for IBM and you'll see where I'd be coming from! The Moravian also gets good reviews but have you ever fondled a QSI? If you ever do, you WILL want one - superb engineering and comfortable with 1.25" filters, just a wonderful piece of kit and well matched to your FSQ 85.

3 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

.... but have you ever fondled a QSI?.....

Now you are really starting to scare me Steve.  Wouldn't 'fondling' (of camera or user) lead to significant guiding errors? 

7 minutes ago, gnomus said:

Now you are really starting to scare me Steve.  Wouldn't 'fondling' (of camera or user) lead to significant guiding errors? 

I've got 2 so I can fondle one in each hand :happy6::happy6:

Dave

6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I've got 2 so I can fondle one in each hand :happy6::happy6:

As a moderator, I should censor this comment but if I had two QSI's, I too would fondle one in each hand :eek:

17 minutes ago, gnomus said:

Wouldn't 'fondling' (of camera or user) lead to significant guiding errors? 

Fondling equipment is surely an important part of the whole AP thing? However, this might explain my occasional bad guiding when using a long focal length ......

That's it... going with the QSI683 and Astrodons. With both hands but I won't tell my GF Louise that...?

I think this offers the best of all possible worlds with my gear. Old? Maybe. But some "old" things are still proven winners.... (Myself included?)

I think I  share enough of the tax burden Steve's! Sometimes on pay day I am sure I am funding the NHS single handedly?

Archived