Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Some time back I bought an Astronomik 12 nm Ha filter to fill up the last slot in my 5 position filter wheel. I haven't done NB imaging before, and am at the moment more into galaxies. But I figured I'd use it to catch H regions in distant galaxies.
In January during a clear night I tested the filter on the Heart nebula. I wasn't impressed with the results and put the data aside.
This recent Ha image by @gorann prompted me to revisit the data and process it.
So here's my first attempt at Ha, the central region of the Heart nebula, ic 1805.
(click on the image to see a larger version. But pixel peepers be warned.)
Focus was off and tracking was poor, resulting in a soft image and funny star shapes.
SW 150PDS on SW AZ-EQ6 mount, guided
ZWO ASI 174MM-Cool with Astronomik 12 nm ha filter
15 x 240 seconds subs at gain 0, -30 C
total integration time: 1 hour
processed in PixInsight
(Now that I see the image on the server, it has a bright right edge which was not at all as obvious in the original.)
We had a patch of clear skies last Sunday night, and even though it was bitterly cold (and there was ice and snow everywhere) I made the executive decision to get outside and have a go nonetheless. I have to setup and teardown each session, but thankfully I was able to move the car a few metres and take advantage of the nice dry (and ice free) ground underneath.
The plan was to grab some OIII data to go with the Ha I captured on the Heart Nebula a couple of weeks back (see link below) but all I could manage was 8 x 1200s before the clouds rolled in for good. In fact, 3 of the 8 subs were affected by clouds, but I decided to use them anyway as I figured it’s only going to get used for tone mapping, and not luminosity, and at such a short exposure time I really need all the SNR I can get. So I’m being a bit of a naughty boy by posting this before getting a decent amount of OIII first.
This is just a quick once-through process and is still missing some things, so it’s very much a work-in-progress at this stage, but I thought I’d post it anyway and I’ll update the thread as I make changes. So far, all I’ve done is process the OIII image (which involved gradient reduction, stretching, removing the stars then stretching some more, then quite a substantial amount of noise reduction). Then I combined it with the Ha image above in my usual manner, i.e creating a synthetic SII using 60% of the Ha image and 40% of the OIII image, and then combining all 3 using Annie’s Hubble Palette action.
So aside from some more work to refine the colour, I still need to work on the contrast, do some NR and also then finally some star reduction.
C&C welcome as always!
SW 80ED with FF/FR (510mm FL)
HEQ5 Pro Mount (belt mod)
11 x 1200s and 3 x 900s of Ha (2” Baader)
8 x 1200s of OIII (2” Baader)
30 Flats, 50 Bias. Dithered every frame.
Captured in SGP. Stacked in APP. Processed in PS.
Thanks for looking.
The Ha image:
Here's a quick WIP version of the Heart Nebula taken with my usual gear, the Nikon D5300a, SW 80ED, and HEQ5 Pro. So for this constitutes:
11 x 1200s and 3 x 900s of Ha (so 4 hrs 25 mins in total)
As usual, stacked in APP and processed in PS.
It's well placed here in the UK right now so I'm hoping to get some OIII in the coming weeks.
I'm never quite sure how much to process these images. Aside from the usual stretching, apart from a mild amount of deconvolution, sharpening, and contrast enhancement that's all I tend to do really.
I've also attached a false colour version using one of Carboni's actions.
C&C welcome as always.
Oh, and Happy Christmas everyone! (it's December now, it's allowed )
Yet another collaboration between Francois Theriault in New Brunswick, Canada and me. Francois is responsible for all the data and stacking while I did the Hubble Palette processing - partly using the Tone Mapping approach by J-P Metsavainio http://astroanarchy.blogspot.se/2014/04/tone-mapping-v20-my-lecture-at-neaic.html but going gently on the blurring.
Astrotech AT72ED refractor with SBIG ST8300M on a CGEM mount. Ha=14x600", OIII=16x600" bin 3x3, SII=15x600 bin 3x3. Baader filters. Sequence Generator Pro and Photoshop CS5.
I am new at narrowband processing so any comments and suggestions are most welcome.