Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lumicon oiii filters - important information

GavStar

I never had any luck being able to get hold of Lumicon filters, I had pretty much all of them on order at one time or another, UHC, Olll and HB. After a period of about 4 months in each case cancelled and opted for an Astonomik's, which came within a week. The only Lumicon I have is a Deep Sky filter that I find helps out on galaxies, though some disagree that they do, I believe it is just there name for a street light filter, as i do not have any to talk of it doesn't really help in that area but as it was S/H it did not break the bank.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, alan potts said:

I never had any luck being able to get hold of Lumicon filters, I had pretty much all of them on order at one time or another, UHC, Olll and HB. After a period of about 4 months in each case cancelled and opted for an Astonomik's, which came within a week. The only Lumicon I have is a Deep Sky filter that I find helps out on galaxies, though some disagree that they do, I believe it is just there name for a street light filter, as i do not have any to talk of it doesn't really help in that area but as it was S/H it did not break the bank.

Ganymedes in Holland have a few in stock.

Dave

8 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Ganymedes in Holland have a few in stock.

Dave

Not any more according to a conversation on Saturday morning... Hence my Astronomik acquisition...

9 minutes ago, Racey said:

That's what we come here for, helpful encouraging insight...

Sorry you missed out they had one 2" left on Friday afternoon, someone must have jumped in quick.

Dave

1 hour ago, Racey said:

Not any more according to a conversation on Saturday morning... Hence my Astronomik acquisition...

Simon whether there are new or old type Lumicon filters available IMHO you have purchased the better filter. I have even used the 1.25" O-III Astronomik filter in my 15x70 Apollo Binos and have had good views of the Veil (both parts) and the NAN so in your 14" Flextube it will be brilliant.

24 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Simon whether there are new or old type Lumicon filters available IMHO you have purchased the better filter. I have even used the 1.25" O-III Astronomik filter in my 15x70 Apollo Binos and have had good views of the Veil (both parts) and the NAN so in your 14" Flextube it will be brilliant.

Unfortunately it isn't @Mark at Beaufort  It's bandpass is no better than a Skywatcher Oiii

29 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Sorry you missed out they had one 2" left on Friday afternoon, someone must have jumped in quick.

Dave

I was after a 1.25".

But given the way they've changed the specifications without changing prices or alerting people I'd be happy with the bottom of a beer bottle over the end of my scope than anything from Lumicon...

Given $100 spent on nothing better than a budget filter; my sense of humour ain't what it was on this subject 

44 minutes ago, Racey said:

Unfortunately it isn't @Mark at Beaufort  It's bandpass is no better than a Skywatcher Oiii

Okay Simon I cannot answer that although the attached document is interesting. However, all I can say is that I have owned Astronomik, Lumicon, Skywatcher, TS and Castell O-III filters and for me I just preferred the view given by my Astronomik. In fact I disliked the Skywatcher O-III and only kept it a few months and bought a second hand TS which was pretty good.

Recently I had an interesting discussion with Alan at Skies Unlimited who found that many of his H.Beta filters had huge differences in their bandwith from the same company. He kindly checked about 6 different filters to give me a filter which met my needs. In fact he even offered to check out my Astronomik, Lumicon, Thousand Oaks filters to show their details.

2016 Nebula Filter Buyers Guide(2).ods

52 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I agree. I have astronomik 2" UHC, O3 and Hb. They are all excellent!

The O3 was a revelation when tried head to head with my old skywatcher O3 which was always way to dark and removed most of the stars!

The Astronomik have worked well in all my scopes from 90mm aperture upwards.

They do their job and still let the stars through so you get very pleasing views indeed.

I have never had Lumicron, but with great results from the Astronomik, have never desired them either :) 

i bagged the horse head last winter and I hoping to bag the pillars of creation in a couple of months...

one thing I don't know, is whether having 1.25" is a bad long term option. With nebulas you want as much light as possible so I reckoned that I would go for the larger 2" rather than buy and buy again?

Alan

@Mark at Beaufort all valid. Except I'd ask, have you seen the band pass graphs of the Oiii filters Lumicon are now selling since November ??

Since November they are sourcing products from a completely different manufacturer and this is the graph. 

Worth £100 direct from Lumicon or £150 via a seller over here ???

46B8E16E-2C81-4F1F-AAA6-ACE60BC7DDB0-2182-000001BF2F956173.jpeg.bc2c6311726e787648bc7f8aea862768.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Racey said:

I have to point out here that from my experience there is absolutely no comparison in performance of a skywatcher O3 and an Astronomik O3.

the performance difference is like night and day!

one works very well indeed and the other is darker than dish water. Can't even bring myself to sell my old skywatcher it was so bad I don't want to upset a buyer !! It had a nice case though so I use that for my moon filter :) the skywatcher O3 filter lives in my loft, never to be seen again.

3 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

one thing I don't know, is whether having 1.25" is a bad long term option. With nebulas you want as much light as possible so I reckoned that I would go for the larger 2" rather than buy and buy again?

Alan

Irrelevant. 

If you purport to be selling a premium product whether it is a 1.25" or 2" filter and you are charging premium prices, you should deliver...

The bandpass of Oiii filters sold as premium since November are no better than mass market filters...

The good Lumicon O-III's really are excellent I reckon. The problem that they were apparently produced during the period 2005 - 2012 so it's being sure of the vintage when buying :icon_scratch:

I owned an Astronomik O-III for a good 3 years before I had the Lumicon (which is one of the good ones) and that was a "single filter solution" for me on DSO's. Very good. My Lumicon O-III shows a little more contrast I reckon but there is not much in it.

If I was buying a premium O-III right now I'd go for an Astronomik.

2 minutes ago, Racey said:

To all those saying my filter is acceptable, I'll pay the postage both ways to exchange with you all...

If it's similar to a skywatcher O3 then it will be pants! I am not saying you are wrong :) I would send it back for a refund same as you...

i would just add that the skywatcher UHC is not bad for the price ( unlike their O3) if you have one of these then don't sent it to the loft! - there, that's just to be fair to skywatcher as it is Lumicron that are the butt of this thread. 

Just now, alanjgreen said:

If it's similar to a skywatcher O3 then it will be pants! I am not saying you are wrong :) I would send it back for a refund same as you...

i would just add that the skywatcher UHC is not bad for the price ( unlike their O3) if you have one of these then don't sent it to the loft! - there, that's just to be fair to skywatcher as it is Lumicron that are the butt of this thread. 

Let me be clear. I bought a premium priced Oiii filter. Purportedly being a premium Oiii filter. This is the graph...

Would you pay a premium price for this ?? If so let's swap...

46B8E16E-2C81-4F1F-AAA6-ACE60BC7DDB0-2182-000001BF2F956173.jpeg.712d3974180f105d9982565b4e4f6fd1.jpeg

That graph with the Lumicon heading represented, is depressing to look at. I hope that you get this resolved / refunded in full. Will read up some of the Cloudy Nights thread on the subject. 

3 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

That graph with the Lumicon heading represented, is depressing to look at. I hope that you get this resolved / refunded in full. Will read up some of the Cloudy Nights thread on the subject. 

Scarp, with @Dave In Vermont's contacts with the new owners at Lumicon and the interview they gave him late last year; allied to recent posts by the new owner on CN I'm afraid I know all too well what's going on.,,

It isn't honourable..,

What I find highly indicative of Lumicons' stand* - I note that Cary hasn't typed a single word since the deceit was revealed regards their actions.

Sometimes no words speaks loudest.

Dave

* - in the thread on CN:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/580780-help-me-understand-my-lumicon-oiii-scan-report/?p=7941861

Having looked at the current Lumicon website, I found a link provided to a PDF file of facts and figures about the Lumicon filter range that is, apparently, being retailed. The band pass graphs for the filters contained in that document are shown below. The O-III looks nothing like the one that Simon was sent. Assuming that the chart supplied with the filter is the test result for that particular filter, it looks as if the website is misrepresenting what is being sold - if it matched the O-III chart in the PDF file it should deliver very good performance:

lumicon_visual_chart.jpg

41 minutes ago, John said:

Having looked at the current Lumicon website, I found a link provided to a PDF file of facts and figures about the Lumicon filter range that is, apparently, being retailed. The band pass graphs for the filters contained in that document are shown below. The O-III looks nothing like the one that Simon was sent. Assuming that the chart supplied with the filter is the test result for that particular filter, it looks as if the website is misrepresenting what is being sold - if it matched the O-III chart in the PDF file it should deliver very good performance:

lumicon_visual_chart.jpg

I know you were empathetic to what @Mrs Racey and I might have been "grumbling" about John. But your recent research echoes what we did before we pulled the trigger... And what we believed we'd be getting...

Ah we'll. One lives...

First world problems. And others have greater than ours this and other weeks...

I hope those that misrepresent themselves, their products and company sleep as well as I do. Somehow I suspect those with no conscience or morality do sadly... 

?

You are completely justified in your dissatisfaction Simon, I've no doubt about that.

I may have missed this in the thread but have you had an offer of a full refund on the filter ?

4 minutes ago, John said:

You are completely justified in your dissatisfaction Simon, I've no doubt about that.

I may have missed this in the thread but have you had an offer of a full refund on the filter ?

Nope. No response as yet. 

I'm happy to give time. But I've been contacted by others who have been emailing since late April. So I'm not holding my breath yet ?

But here's hoping... ?

Archived