SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

In due course try a 1.25" Oiii...

Interesting. I had heard of Oiii being used in White Light Imaging Shane. How does it perform visually ?

1 hour ago, Racey said:

Interesting. I had heard of Oiii being used in White Light Imaging Shane. How does it perform visually ?

I've tried an OIII and it's not bad, not quite as good as a BSC but worth using if you have one already.

Update I have bought the Solar wedge being posted to me Monday special delivery so should have it Wednesday at the latest thank you everyone who advised me really appreciate it. I would like to thank a fellow Sgler for supplying me with a 2"to 1.25" adapter free of charge which is much appreciated I will not name them until I obtain their permission. This is why I love this forum everyone is helpful and people will help you out with accessories if they have them. 

I bought my 1.25" wedge from that Euro astronomy shop in Germany a couple of yrs ago. It sells from there without the ND3.0 filter, so i had to buy one of those also and fit it in. I also wasnt sure if the wedge itself was polarised,so i bought a double polarising filter. Turns out the wedge was polarised and i need only have bought a single polarising filter.

No problem, the double works great as does the ND3.0 filter. I also was informed by members here that a solar continuum filter is an added bonus if you use one as it teases out finer detail. I bought one of those also (i think all the filters i bought are Baader). The solar continuum filter alone was quite expensive (about 80 euros). The other 2 filters (ND3.0 and variable polarising filter) were 40 euros each.

Total cost of wedge and filters=280 euros. No regrets.

22 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I got it with polarising filter for £125 posted cannot wait try it out should be with me midweek. Thanks.

Yeah, i saw you got it after i posted. Thats a nice saving you made there with the polarising filter included also. With the cash saved, you could, if you felt like it, buy a solar continuum filter. They are not strictly needed but are a nice added extra. They turn the Sun a funky bright green which doesnt take long to get used to. They just make surface granulation and the edges of sunspots more visible. I'm sure a light green wratten filter will do the same job at a much cheaper cost.

Enjoy the wedge. The Sun is here for the next week or so. Not sure if there is much activity happening.

I stand corrected. Ive just had a look at the solar imaging thread and there are currently a few nice spots visible in white light. I dont know if they will last til midweek. I'll have to take the little 70mm refrac and wedge out tomorrow and have a look.

Here's my little solar setup:

70mm Celestron Travelscope

1.25"Hershel wedge (and filters)

Hyperion 8-24mm zoom

Horizon 8115 tripod

I never tire of posting this image because it is so small and portable and does a great job.

post-5361-0-97690700-1452271417.jpg

3 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Yeah, i saw you got it after i posted. Thats a nice saving you made there with the polarising filter included also. With the cash saved, you could, if you felt like it, buy a solar continuum filter. They are not strictly needed but are a nice added extra. They turn the Sun a funky bright green which doesnt take long to get used to. They just make surface granulation and the edges of sunspots more visible. I'm sure a light green wratten filter will do the same job at a much cheaper cost.

Enjoy the wedge. The Sun is here for the next week or so. Not sure if there is much activity happening.

Cheers for that may invest in a continuum filter see how it goes. 

Archived