Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'm umming and arring over whether to get a solar filter or the solar wedge. I have read a couple of of things about the wedge both saying I would need a filter as well and if I buy the 1.25" I don't think it will fit in the Tal 100rs the 2 " is way out of my price range so any help much appreciated. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@Mrs Racey and I did possibly as much unming and arring as you !! But we are so glad we finally fell off the fence and bought the 1.25" Herschel Wedge. We use it in our ED80 and our 70mm Carbon INED when we travel. It's been a great piece of kit... And sits alongside and complements our Lunt Ha scope. 

With regard to extra filters, while the Wedge we bought came with a ND filter already installed we took the recommended advice and attached a variable polarising filter to the eyepiece to further dim the image. 

As to whether it'll fit your scope; that's where I run out of answers. 

I found that the Lunt solar wedge gives better contrast than the Baader solar film. You would have to get a 1.25 adapter to get it to fit in your 2 inch focuser. The image is quite bright so yes you would need a filter  to fit on to the eyepiece. I use the Baader solar continuum filter. Once again this helps to give better contrast, but it is quite expensive. Others use a polarising filter. Having said all that the Baader film is usable and is certainly the cheaper option, although you still probably have to use a filter to dull the image a bit.

I really like my 1.25" Lunt wedge, very pleased.
You will need to add a single polariser filter to make viewing more comfortable and the polarised view teases more detail in my humble opinion.
Never regreted this purchase for a minute.
You can get them in the ex demo sale by Bresser in Germany sometimes at good value, that's what I did and it was notably more economic way of buying.

5 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I could not think of the filter`s name (Nd filter) now i know. Flo have the Herschel wedge with the ND3 filter built in for £157 If i buy a 1.25" adapter would that be it then.

No. You'd still need a polariser on the eyepiece...

you deff dont need any other filter with a solar wedge, i dont use them for imaging, but it can be a bit bright when doing vis, i add a nd moon filter to bring the brightness down, as others have said solar foil is a good option and there easy to make. hope you get a wedge, when i got mine it was a big step forward, there a great bit of kit and you wouldn't regret it. good luck. charl.

The Baader wedges are nice but in terms of view very much like the Lunt, if you ever get one then the continium filter really makes a difference - if there is a sunspot to pick out.

To an extent if you are not going to get the continium filter then little in it over a good foil filter and they cost a lot less.

Last I looked TS made a good herschel wedge at a good price and it came with a continium filter, not a Baader specific but it was 540nm.

My "doubt" over the TS item is that is has no ND3 filter and says that with the polarising filter and the continium filter you do not need one, whereas all others I have seen, read and used have an ND3 filter as a part of the optical train. It seems a little reliant on the continium filter to reduce the throughput, and not sure of that. However it costs about £120 by the time you take the exchange rate into account. Tempting. I would also add a UV/IR cut filter.

6 minutes ago, ronin said:

The Baader wedges are nice but in terms of view very much like the Lunt, if you ever get one then the continium filter really makes a difference - if there is a sunspot to pick out.

Have you looked through both @ronin?

In my view the Lunt is fantastic value for money, and a great way to get into white light solar astronomy. The Baader however is definitely a step up in quality; the detail visible at high power under good to excellent conditions is quite incredible.

For a TAL with a 1.25" focuser, the Lunt is a great option. I always use a continuum filter these days, it just stays fitted all the time so I am totally used to the green sun, don't even notice it now!

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Have you looked through both @ronin?

In my view the Lunt is fantastic value for money, and a great way to get into white light solar astronomy. The Baader however is definitely a step up in quality; the detail visible at high power under good to excellent conditions is quite incredible.

For a TAL with a 1.25" focuser, the Lunt is a great option. I always use a continuum filter these days, it just stays fitted all the time so I am totally used to the green sun, don't even notice it now!

My Tal has a 2" focuser the 2" wedge is way out of my price range i would need a 2" to 1.25" adaptor to put the wedge in.

2 hours ago, Racey said:

...With regard to extra filters, while the Wedge we bought came with a ND filter already installed we took the recommended advice and attached a variable polarising filter to the eyepiece to further dim the image...

I have the Lunt 1.25" Solar Wedge and use it with the filters just as Simon describes. It works very well with my Tak and Vixen 4" refractors and my Skywatcher ED120 as well. I previously used a Kendrick filter which used the Baader Solar Film but I feel the image delivered by the wedge is sharper and more contrasty.

It should work fine with your TAL 100.

2 hours ago, Racey said:
But we are so glad we finally fell off the fence and bought the 1.25" Herschel Wedge. 

Ditto that, they're excellent pieces of kit and for what they do (step up in contrast and detail, step up in safety - don't have to worry about pin holes any more) they represent great value.

Have a look at Lacerta's offering while you're deciding.

17 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Ditto that, they're excellent pieces of kit and for what they do (step up in contrast and detail, step up in safety - don't have to worry about pin holes any more) they represent great value.

Have a look at Lacerta's offering while you're deciding.

http://www.365astronomy.com/Lacerta-Brewster-angle-Herschel-Wedge-with-30mm-Prism-T-thread-ND3.0-1-25-Nosepiece-and-1.25-Eyepiece-Holder.html comes with ND=3.0 neutral density filter but says must use Polarising filter as well. Says all filters must be between wedge and eyepiece how can I put two filters together or do they just screw into each other then eyepiece.Just tried my Moon and UHC filter I see they do screw together, Now it does not say it it is a 2" to go into focuser or this and a polarising filter is way cheaper £162 all in.

3 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

http://www.365astronomy.com/Lacerta-Brewster-angle-Herschel-Wedge-with-30mm-Prism-T-thread-ND3.0-1-25-Nosepiece-and-1.25-Eyepiece-Holder.html comes with ND=3.0 neutral density filter but says must use Polarising filter as well. Says all filters must be between wedge and eyepiece how can I put two filters together or do they just screw into each other then eyepiece.

If it's like our Lunt, the ND is within the Wedge. 

But you can normally put 2 filters together. But I doubt you'll have to in this case. 

1 minute ago, wookie1965 said:

how can I put two filters together or do they just screw into each other then eyepiece.

You can either screw the polarising filter into the EP or into the ND3 on the back end of the wedge. I don't know about 365 but Teleskop express did a bundle including the polarising filter when I got mine but now it they only seem to have the option without it.

I have the Baader wedge now and agree with Stu, it's a step up from the Lunt but the Lunt is fantastic value and a step up from the film. You can use a cheapish wratten filter like a light blue, light green or yellow which would also work but the solar continuum is again better still.

If you ever want to come over to Stockport you could try my wedge but obviously it's the top end of cost and quality. Will at least let you see what your scope can do with one.

51 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I have the Baader wedge now and agree with Stu, it's a step up from the Lunt but the Lunt is fantastic value and a step up from the film. You can use a cheapish wratten filter like a light blue, light green or yellow which would also work but the solar continuum is again better still.

If you ever want to come over to Stockport you could try my wedge but obviously it's the top end of cost and quality. Will at least let you see what your scope can do with one.

Shane thats very kind of you, will have to arrange a time love to see what I am likely to see through my scope I can pick your brains why I`m there.

It's definitely worth it. Maybe send me a pm and we'll sort something out. I'd personally watch out for a used Lunt 1.25". I might have a 2-1.25" adapter you could have cheap. If you can get one with a SC filter then great. some people even use Oiii

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

My Tal has a 2" focuser the 2" wedge is way out of my price range i would need a 2" to 1.25" adaptor to put the wedge in.

Presumably you have a 2" to 1.25" adaptor already if you have a 2" diagonal?

I agree, the 1.25" Lunt is the best option for you, will give great views

Archived