Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Look at what the nice man with the van brought!

A replacement for the great Helios Apollo 15x70 HDs (right, in the photo): a pair of second-hand Opticron 16x80 Observation binoculars (left). 

IMG_20170614_194559.thumb.jpg.bedc498b267f0c21dc4edff94606e54d.jpg

The views are excellent, and it is lighter than its predecessor (not by much). I will have to alter my P-mount a bit, but balance will not be an issue. Can't wait to try them under the stars.

love the mount Michael, great bins too mate, i was looking at Saturn last night with my 25x100 for the first time   , i was very surprised how much detail i could see, could clearly make out the case div , Saturn was only a few deg above the horizon at 11.30pm. charl.

13 hours ago, John said:

Very nice :icon_biggrin:

I'm not a great binocular user but I do have a pair of Opticron 11x70's (Japanese) and they seem really good :icon_biggrin:

Opticron make nice things !

Cheers, John.

Opticron may make nice things, but I suspect in this case it is Vixen doing the making. These are the spitting image of the Vixen ARK 16x80 binoculars: same shape, (unusually light) weight and specs. Coatings might differ, I don't know.

I think you're correct, Michaei. Like many "names", I think Opticron are a "brand" rather than a "manufacturer"; they commission manufacturers to produce stuff to their specification and put the Opticron brand on it. @pete_gamby will be able to confirm if this is the case or if I'm speculating too broadly on insufficient information. :icon_biggrin:

9 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Cheers, John.

Opticron may make nice things, but I suspect in this case it is Vixen doing the making. These are the spitting image of the Vixen ARK 16x80 binoculars: same shape, (unusually light) weight and specs. Coatings might differ, I don't know.

I suspect you are correct Michael. I've been a fan of Vixen equipment right from my start in the hobby back in the 1980's.

Yes Steve, we work with a number of sub-contract manufacturers in Japan and one of our longest partnerships is with Vixen. The WP Observation models were a badged Vixen Ark so optically and mechanically identical. Both lines are now discontinued.

Vixen doesn't market it's own-brand terrestrial products in the UK because of our partnership with them but we do distribute their astronomy products.

HTH

Pete

46 minutes ago, pete_gamby said:

Yes Steve, we work with a number of sub-contract manufacturers in Japan and one of our longest partnerships is with Vixen. The WP Observation models were a badged Vixen Ark so optically and mechanically identical. Both lines are now discontinued.

Vixen doesn't market it's own-brand terrestrial products in the UK because of our partnership with them but we do distribute their astronomy products.

HTH

Pete

Thanks for the info. A pity they are discontinued, but happy to have got one now

11 hours ago, JOC said:

I've never seen how people that use bins mount them.  What a neat mount idea - it looks very serviceable - is it home-made?

Yes it is a home-made parallelogram mount (P-mount) on a completely refurbished EQ2 tripod, in which I replaced the flimsy aluminium legs by hardwood. Works well, but takes some setting up. For more grab-n-go, I use a monopod with trigger-grip ball-head.

IMAG1178.thumb.jpg.e69dae9c0a0f8e08c45509d7aa6b3303.jpg

Works well, but takes some setting up. For more grab-n-go, I use a monopod with trigger-grip ball-head

The monpod might be easier, but it is nowhere near as attractive and asthetically pleasing as the lovely parallelogram.  I am most taken with that, what a lovely mathematical object.

Archived