Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An hour with Saturn

kerrylewis

Got up around 1.15 and checked out of the window. Saturn was clear low in the south but there was also quite a lot of thin cloud around. 'Was it worth it? Would I be cloud dodging like last time?' It doesn't take much for me to prefer a return to my cosy bed but I decided to give it a go.

the Tak FC100DL was still set up from a quick look at Jupiter last night but this would be the first real go at Saturn. The planet has cleared the house opposite by this time and although it was occasionally dimmed by the thin cloud I had a clear view. 

The 10mm Ethos (90x) showed a crisp view so I tried higher magnification. The 3mm Radian (300x) was a bit much and turned the view mushy and the best views were with the 6mm Radian (150x) or best of all the 10mm plus 2x Powermate (180x).

There were moments of fairly good seeing and, although I've not made any direct comparisons, I do believe that the Tak cuts through the conditions as others have said.

In the good moments the Cassini division was clear all round and nearly always there in the broader view of the rings to each side. The planet itself showed subtle banding and a darker polar region. Every now and then the seeing would 'click' and the whole view had a beautiful 3D effect with the planet an obvious sphere and the rings in front and behind. A little shiver down the spine. Then there would be a ripple across the view, like looking at a reflection in a pond, as the seeing wobbled.

Eventually the planet was eclipsed by my friendly local telegraph pole and I took the cue to go,back to bed. A lovely session- the planet is also in an interesting setting of stars at the moment (some were probably moons but I was too taken with the planet itself to check) which adds to the beauty of the view. Given that seeing was not perfect, a very rewarding session. I'm going to like this scope! 

I was out last night and had in mind to check Saturn out as the last thing on my list. But I was getting very good views of Jupiter and then some globular clusters (the vx14 shows these well even with light pollution or in the lighter summer skies) and I completely forgot about Saturn. It sounds like I missed out!

I miss the Midlands night views!  Especially the quick trips to the Cotswolds , where is darker than anywhere I've experienced in the States so far ( next to Wyoming) .....which spot in the UK have you noticed the best views? My personal faves were... in Scotland around Moray Firth about 6 yrs ago....I got to see some great views of Jupiter and Saturn ( with a few dolphins in the backdrop :)) and next is the Lake District where I went wild camping ....it was just me, a friend,  my sister , and her husband but we went deep into no-man's land .....we stopped at a nearby Tarn and the sky was almost too much .....my friend had binos and we happened to be there when Saturn was pretty bright .....it was phenomenal....one of the best experiences I've had....( even with the wind and freezing temps and no fire.....but we did bring "Stella"! ,....my friends backpack was full of Stella,..hehe

That was a wonderful description Kerry.  I was out myself from 00.45 to 01.25 BST when Saturn was engulfed by a cloud bank. Your observations were so similar to my experience I might as well copy your account into my observing book :smile:

I was also surprised how good  the seeing was at such a low altitude, by far the best view I've had this apparition. I was using a pair of Baader Mk111 zooms in my binoviewer, and varied the magnification between x150 and x225 most of the time.  I also used x300 at one time, though not bad there was nothing to gain over slightly lower magnifications. 

Saturn really looked magnificent and I still get the same thrill I did when I first viewed it in a 60mm refractor in my mums garden around 47 years ago.

I then observed  the waning crescent moon until the fingers of cloud reached it at about 1.50am.

Oh, I forgot to mention the telescope I was using - a Takahashi FC 100 DL  :smile:.

Great report Kerry :icon_biggrin:

Saturn is behind houses / trees etc until around 2:00 am for me so I've done no more than glimpsed it so far this year.

I'm really looking forward to a decent session on it with my Tak FC 100 DL and my TMB / LZOS 130 :icon_biggrin:

Delighted to hear that the DL is giving you lovely views (as I knew it would ?). Your description has encouraged me to keep having a go at Saturn over the next month or two. The low height has caused the views to not be great for me so far but hopefully I have just been a bit unlucky.

I will try to have a quick sneaky look with my FC100DF this weekend! It's a nice club to be a member of...

1 hour ago, Gavster said:

Delighted to hear that the DL is giving you lovely views (as I knew it would ?). Your description has encouraged me to keep having a go at Saturn over the next month or two. The low height has caused the views to not be great for me so far but hopefully I have just been a bit unlucky.

I will try to have a quick sneaky look with my FC100DF this weekend! It's a nice club to be a member of...

It's well worth it.  My previous attempts this apparition had almost put me off, pretty average to poor views due to the low altitude and poor seeing..  This last view I had made up for all the frustrations, it was wonderful and did me the power of good :smile:.  Can't wait for another go now.

One of my most memorable observing memories is still seeing Saturn through a 50mm frac as a kid. It wasn't much more than a rugby ball shape, but seeing the rings with my own eyes was incredible.

Archived