SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Forgotten Constellation & Three Nice Clusters

cloudsweeper

Went out to the ST120 at 10.30 - Jupiter and Vega were on show.  Arcturus appeared soon after, followed by Muphrid to the west a little later.  Several more stars were visible in the 'scope only - beautiful sharp points in the EP at x14, although the sky was still quite light.

But the main target was the forgotten constellation (now asterism) Taurus Poniatovii, which is why I was using the widefield 'scope.  Some of its stars are categorised as Cr 359, the TP open cluster.  

I found Cabalrai, and saw the SummerBeehive Cluster in the same FOV (>4 deg), then moved on to Gamma Oph.  From there, the old constellation was visible, again with >4 deg of field.  It comprised 66, 67, 68, 70, and 73 Oph in a V like the bull's head Hyades.  Moving north, I took in a horn with 71 and 72 Oph.

Next was open cluster NGC 6633 - dozens of quite bright stars in loose array at x33 and about 2.5 deg. - perhaps going beyond the cluster itself.

Finally, another open cluster, Graff's Cluster IC 4756 in Serpens, comprising more stars, tighter, fainter, looking really beautiful at x60, and filling the >1 deg field.  

A very enjoyable two-hour session with a manual, widefield telescope!

Doug.

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

Very nice report but have to join Paul in the I have never heard of it camp. I must have a look.

Thanks, Alan - it translates to Poniatowski's Bull  - a former constellation, named after a king of Poland. 

The head is very like Hyades, only smaller and with fewer and fainter stars.

Here are images from the Cambridge Star Atlas to illustrate........

Doug.

P1050679.JPG

P1050680.JPG

Archived