Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

SGL 2017 SP

FLO

Howie Glatter

16 posts in this topic

Today we learned Howie Glatter has passed away :sad2:

This will be sad news to those who knew him and to all those who use and appreciate his range of collimation tools.

He was a likeable man and respected by the astronomy community. 

howie_glatter.jpg

7 people like this

This video shows Howie's passion for and dedication to amateur astronomy. 

1 person likes this

Hi

Very sad did meet him a few years ago seemed a nice chap.

harry

Very sad day.  I purchased an item from him directly almost a decade ago (I think, all those years are blurring into one) when he was building up his business.  Great to deal with.

8 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

Very sad day.  I purchased an item from him directly almost a decade ago (I think, all those years are blurring into one) when he was building up his business.  Great to deal with.

Fully agree, I to got mine direct years ago. I would love to see his paralyzer principle adopted industry wide. It was one of the very few example of good kinematic design in astronomical couplings.

Regards Andrew

1 person likes this

sad news, a remarkable man, who has made the alining of optics easy, a visionary . his dedication to astronomy is vast. charl.

All makes sense now. Very very sad day in the astronomy community 

That's very sad news.

Another good guy gone......

Very sorry to hear this - I saw a post recently from him on CN saying that he hoped to be back in production soon.  From reading forums, it is so clear that he was universally highly respected.

Sad news; a significant loss to our community.

We are delighted to announce today Howie Glatter collimation tools will return. 

Wayne at Starlight Instruments, manufacturer of Feathertouch focusers, purchased the business about 1 ½ months before Howie passed on. 

Not many people know this but Starlights Instruments manufactured a number of HG's products. We cannot imagine a company more able and better suited to continue Howie’s legacy. SI's intention is to continue the entire range of HG products but, understandably, will begin with those already manufactured by themselves. 

Our best guess is Howie Glatter products will return in around 2-3 months. 

HTH, 

Steve 

howie_glatter_hglc2_125-2_bottom%5B1%5D.feathertouch_ftf2535hd.jpg

8 people like this

wayne told me the same a while back. its great news in that respect. :headbang:and like you say Steve who better

1 person likes this

I'm very glad to hear this!

I recently purchased a tublug/2" laser of Glatters and they work superbly- my 15" dob is so much easier and faster to collimate now. I'm going to buy another laser (650) to complement the 635 now that they are back.

1 person likes this

Sad newsindeed, but good to know that Howie Glatter's contribution to astronomy will continue in good hands and continue to help the community.

Olly

Wow only just read this!  I spoke to him last year and he explained his paraliser concept to me over Skype.  A great, approachable guy who was really friendly.  Sad indeed! :(