Narrowband

BEST 10x50 Binocular for Astronomy <£125

The list of binoculars reviewed by Steve Tonkin at BinocularSky is steadily growing :smile: 

His recent review of the new Opticron 10x50 Adventurer T WP has especially caught our attention.  

In it he concludes: “If there is a better 10x50 for under £125, I’ve not seen it.” 

Having read that we have added them to our website and ordered a quantity for stock so they will be available for overnight delivery B)

The full review (pdf) can be read here

opticron_adventurer_t_wp_30689_10x50_bin

Very interesting :smiley:

I wonder how these Opticrons compare with the Helios Nature Sport Plus 10x50's ?

I have a pair of the Helos and they seem pretty good for their cost. I wonder if the Opticron would be a step up again ?

4 minutes ago, John said:

Very interesting :smiley:

I wonder how these Opticrons compare with the Helios Nature Sport Plus 10x50's ?

I have a pair of the Helos and they seem pretty good for their cost. I wonder if the Opticron would be a step up again ?

I had that very same thought. Our first delivery should arrive Thu/Fri, I'll compare them then :smile: 

Steve 

This doesn't surprise me as, in the birdwatching community, Opticron are often regarded as being at the quality end of the budget/mid-priced market.  I've had a pair of their 8x42 ED roof prism bins for a number of years and I'm pleased as a pleased thing with them.  I've also got a pair of their 8 x 50 porro prisms that I bought from FLO a few years ago that I use for astronomy and as our spare pair.

19 hours ago, John said:

I'm probably not the best person to ask - I simply did not get on with the Naturesport at all - I really wanted to, but eventually sold it. Personal thing, I guess, because I know a lot of people really like it. They do have the twist-up eye-cups, which I prefer, but the Opticron is waterproof - to my mind, that is a significant advantage for observing in dewy conditions.

19 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

I'm probably not the best person to ask

From the Guru of binoculars, that will take some folk by surprise, but we know what you mean.

I am one of those who will grab my  Helios Nature Sport every time, their my favoured binoculars in my collection, with their  +8° field of view, perfect for browsing starry skies, with an easy to hold, steady view, due to the lower magnification with  a nice sharp image as far as I can see. My methods of assessment may be far inferior, but I have what I feel is right and suits my need for the task in hand, Ive no doubt the 10x50s are just as good, and further up the level, their Apollos are fine too!

I took a bag of binoculars out the other night to an old friends house who thought he was going to buy some 25x100's, until he saw for himself, what different magnifications and fields of view provided, and from the collection that consisted of 8x40, 7x50, 10x50, 15x50, 12x25  he kept picking up and eventually admiring what the 10x50's offered.

The only downside  for my friend with those 10x50's was the IF (Individual Focusing) due to their waterproofing, he had not encountered this before, but was surprised (as was I when I first bought them ) as to how little focusing the 10x50s require due to their extensive depth of field!

As you say, each to their own, it will be a personal choice at the end of the day, 

Archived