finder scope

ok people i'm looking to buy a nice finder scope to compliment my current RDF.

as the RDF is great when i can see where i'm going but for some things i think the finder will help.

so what i wanted to know is if my RDF takes up the current mount shoe, can i attach anothr to place the findrscope in? and if so how?

cheers

You would probably have to fit another shoe which may be supplied with whatever finder you get but this would involve drilling 2 holes in the tube.

If you don't fancy drilling holes you could fit your new optical finder to the existing shoe (if compatable) and then attach the RDF to the new finder's mounting bracket. There are various methods.

I'm doing the opposite of you - have just ordered a red dot finder to compliment my existing 9x50 straight-thru finder. I haven't decided on how to attach it yet - I'll see what comes with it first re. mount shoes, etc.

I've added a RDF to compliment my 8x50 finder. I like to use the RDF to get close and then the 8x50 to really home in.

I looked at various options, but didn't fancy drilling thru the tube in case the pressure bent it in too much, or I ended up with burr on the mirrors.

In the end, I simply drilled 2 holes thru the tude rings. I've lined it up so the RDF looks thru the gap between the 8x50 and the EP holder. It works very well and I've been much more accurate with my finding and aligning since. At the w/ed I had Jupiter dead centre for 20 mins with no hint of drifitng!

I have drilled several holes in tubes to mount finders. I point the tube downwards so the flakes fall out. It's not a big deal. I put the RDF between the focuser and the RA finder on my Newt. I tried a couple other places, but this worked best. If you want to experiment, use double-sided tape until you find the best location for it.

Archived