Narrowband

M101 re-process pixinsight trial

Adam J

30 x 500s with my cooled 550D.

Used DBE to remove some bad gradients, but still lots of finishing work on PS CS2.

I did not get on with the stacking in Pixinsight I found it slow and could not work out how to get it to reject hot pixels as I can with DSS. I am sure its just a matter of finding the correct settings though.

Not an ideal focal length for galaxy imaging with my 130pds but hey ho.

Autosave008_final2.thumb.jpg.1695d3ca537689164769f3f6719ad358.jpg

For hot pixel rejection Cosmetic Correction works very well if you have the settings right.  Use the master dark as reference (if its good), or I find the default settings work pretty good.  When you zoom in on an area and use the back and forth tab after doing CC, you can see the hot pixels vanish.  The best way, though I have not tried it yet, is to use darks to make a bad pixel map.  

Rodd

10 hours ago, Rodd said:

For hot pixel rejection Cosmetic Correction works very well if you have the settings right.  Use the master dark as reference (if its good), or I find the default settings work pretty good.  When you zoom in on an area and use the back and forth tab after doing CC, you can see the hot pixels vanish.  The best way, though I have not tried it yet, is to use darks to make a bad pixel map.  

Rodd

Thanks but using dark frames with a DSLR is normally a bit of a no no due to the lack of regulated cooling, even if mine is cooled. In DSS the vanish by using Kappa-sigma clipping and dithering the subs.

5 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

DBE when used correctly will not remove any details - in fact it will help accentuate some.  Keep practicing and it will come together :) There is some data there just need to learn to refine it without being too aggressive.

This is my latest attempt as posted in the 130PDS thread. I am struggling to get any more out of it now though.

Autosave008_DBE_ps_crop_porcess_DBE_18062017.jpg

Archived