SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone flown with Easyjet and their astro kit?

Cjg

Evening,

Has anyone flown with their astro kit on EasyJet?

Have done so twice with Ryan Air without problems, but at the moment they are 2-3 times the price of EasyJet to a destination I'm looking at.

Thanks,

Chris  

Not with Astro gear as such Chris, but I have taken a spotting scope and bins on birdwatching trips flying with EasyJet without problems. The last time was last September, so things may have changed given the current situation.

I haven't used EasyJet so can't comment on them specifically but I do feel that at some point there will be an "issue" with my kit (hand luggage) and I will be forced to check it in so always make sure that it is well packaged just in case. Make sure your kit is insured for damage and for going missing.

And echoing comments above, I can also see a future where everything has to be checked in.

The thing is that if security is to be taken seriously then how on earth can baggage go missing, have items stolen from them or generally being tampered with? If someone can steal a suitcase then someone can put something into a suitcase.

On 16/06/2017 at 14:17, Piero said:

No with easyjet, but I did with ryanair and jet2 a few times. No problem at all. :) 

Where are you planning to go? :) 

Thanks Piero,

I've flown with Ryan Air and my kit 4 times without any issues and understand how they work....I'm looking at Tenerife next year; currently Ryan Air are twice the price of Easy Jet....I've seen on Twitter more people bumped off EasyJet through overbooking.. so just wondering. Found with Ryan Air if you pay for the seat up the front, your bag goes in the overhead locker without issues...

Want to have a good luck at Sagittarius and the other objects that are low down from here. 

Chris

I've flown sleazyjet to Cyprus with no problems.  I took my 150mm Mak and solar scope in my hand luggage (+ DSLR, eyepieces etc) while the mount went in my hold luggage.  I've also flown BA to Miami for the Winter Star Party with a similar set up, again with no problems.  Just tell the security guards that you're a photographer.  Not only is this easier to explain, the security officers see people with camera gear all the time. 

Have a fantastic holiday!

Agreed - I was in Tenerife earlier this year and went one way with EJ, scope in hand luggage, all else in hold. The scope got inspected after going through the scanner but no questions asked (nor any amusing facial expressions or sotto voce comments, I'm sorry to say).

I booked a Ryanair flight to Edinburgh at the last minute a few months ago and was told to put my hand luggage in the hold, so I had a cunning backup plan to take the scope out of the bag and dress it as a baby. Luckily it didn't come to that.

Archived