Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anything I should know before I get started?

After finally making a commitment for what I want for my very basic DSO setup, I settled on a SW130PDS on an EQ5. (I know I know, not the greatest for astrophotography :icon_neutral:) And thanks to FLO my 130pds is floating (albeit very slowly) across the pond on its way to America! Now I'm waiting to order my EQ5 because, the shipping time is considerably less, (10-20 working days vs 1-3) and I might be able to get it used off of cloudy nights if I wait.

Ok so my question is, what are some things I should know before starting? Anything at all that can give me any kind of edge. I don't want to be running blindly into this, I want to take it slow! :icon_biggrin:

-Galen

Keep on the slow-course. You're doing it just right!

Expect to make lots of errors - it's how we learn. Being patient with yourself is key to helping you remember why you're doing this: For Fun!

So I take it that these models of Skywatcher scopes aren't imported to the US yet? That's going to be fun for you! You'll have something nobody else will! :p And from the dozens of reviews and articles I've read on these 130PDS scopes, it seems to be an excellent telescope. And it does work very well for AP. All the pictures out there from these are wonderful.

Good work, Galen. I'll leave you with a chuckle,

Dave

593c942983ed0_Drug-MoneyforA-P.jpg.39a546d92fe7ceb02d342b0278338b50.jpg

1 hour ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Keep on the slow-course. You're doing it just right!

Expect to make lots of errors - it's how we learn. Being patient with yourself is key to helping you remember why you're doing this: For Fun!

So I take it that these models of Skywatcher scopes aren't imported to the US yet? That's going to be fun for you! You'll have something nobody else will! :p And from the dozens of reviews and articles I've read on these 130PDS scopes, it seems to be an excellent telescope. And it does work very well for AP. All the pictures out there from these are wonderful.

Good work, Galen. I'll leave you with a chuckle,

Dave

593c942983ed0_Drug-MoneyforA-P.jpg.39a546d92fe7ceb02d342b0278338b50.jpg

Thanks Dave! 

I've never thought about the fact that I'll be showing up to star party's with a white scope rather than a black scope (Orion)

I could be addicted to a lot of things, like heroin, but instead I'm addicted to astronomy. :p

You haven't said what camera you'll be using but I'm guessing an APS "C" DSLR. In this case you *will* need a coma corrector, this one

www.firstlightoptics.com/coma-correctors/baader-mpcc.html

Is generally reconned to be the best.

3 hours ago, DaveS said:

You haven't said what camera you'll be using but I'm guessing an APS "C" DSLR. In this case you *will* need a coma corrector, this one

www.firstlightoptics.com/coma-correctors/baader-mpcc.html

Is generally reconned to be the best.

I'm using a Fuji xt-1 which does have an APS sensor.

I don't have the money for a corrector now, I'll get one eventually. But for now I'll either crop it out or ignore it completely.

You really will need RA drive to any DS imaging at all. I would strongly recommend dual drive as well because, while in theory the Dec doesn't do anything on a well aligned mount, in reality it does a lot provided you are guiding, which at some point you will be. (Under autoguiding my Dec axis receives as many corrections as my RA.) So before you start guiding you only need RA drives. Once guiding you need both.

Olly

PS Have fun and take one step at a time. Best of luck!

50 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You really will need RA drive to any DS imaging at all. I would strongly recommend dual drive as well because, while in theory the Dec doesn't do anything on a well aligned mount, in reality it does a lot provided you are guiding, which at some point you will be. (Under autoguiding my Dec axis receives as many corrections as my RA.) So before you start guiding you only need RA drives. Once guiding you need both.

Olly

PS Have fun and take one step at a time. Best of luck!

Interesting, You learn something new each day! Thanks.

On 2017-06-11 at 18:10, Galen Gilmore said:

Interesting, You learn something new each day! Thanks.

You'll be saying this for years to come. That's the fun of this hobby and forum.

+1 for Olly's advice. If you have a tough choice between a new mount with just RA drive, and a used one with both RA and DEC, go for the one with double drive.

A cheap investment that will save you a lot of frustration is a Bahtinov mask, used for accurate focusing.

Good luck and clear skies

Archived