SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon EF 400mm f5.6 L lens

I haven't used this particular lens but have used a Tamron 400mm f/5.6 lens with a KAF8300 sensor (4/3) and got good, coma free, narrowband results. I believe this lens has UD and super-UD elements -  if it's as well corrected and sharp as my 135L then you should be fine with broadband as well, especially at f/5.6. Also, at that speed I would think you'll be using it wide open so no issues with the lack of electronic coupling on the aperture.

Would you be using it with your 314L+? If so I can't see any problems with chip coverage :icon_biggrin:

HTH - Canon L glass is superb so I don't really think you can go wrong.

Yours, a very envious Rich ;)

That's a lens I always wish I had . It's probably one of the best wildlife imaging lens to own . I've seen very few Astro images with it but what I've seen looked great and never heard of coma problems . But it has a very narrow window FOV  so objects like M31 or M42 is quite big and won't fit in the FOV . So best is it's a great lens but not too choice for most Astro work . 

Sometimes I'd wish one of this too, but then I think that a proper scope is better. I have a Canon 300 F4 L and the resolution and colour correction are good. There is something inside which I think is tilted as the stars in 2 opposite corners are not exactly in focus. With image stabilization I don't think there's much you can do about this. The 400/5.6 doesn't have IS so it might be better in this regard. If I were you, I would ask myself how much I want it for daytime photography, otherwise I would consider the SW Esprit 80.

Good luck and clear skies,

Alex

thanks for the reply's, iv had a mishap with my Atik 314L+, I basically lost the case it was in, (don't ask) but im now looking at an atik 383 or atik 460 mono to use with a filter drawer and a lens, im getting more into normal daytime photography and like the lightness of using a lens as I have to travel to my dark site to image. wonder would this be ok to use with either of these cameras?

Archived