Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dew Control on a Dob or not?

3 hours ago, Phil Fargaze said:

I have had dew settle on the primary on my 10" Orion USA solid tube dob a few times now. However this has happened when I am camped out in a field at a star party. 

So location likely plays a part in this. Next time I will try peg out a ground sheet to see if that helps. Once I remember being dewed out and I thought having drove 90 miles to be at a dark site I was not going to let a bit of Earth bound moisture spoil the night! So I resorted to `gently` ( very gently) warming the primary with a camping stove stood under the back of the scope for 15 minutes! It worked but I can`t endorse this practise, so the usual warning is, don`t try this at home kids!

I think someone already has....

image.jpeg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I observe from home and find dew is a problem with the Telrad and finder. To overcome this I always replace the caps on the finder and if the Telrad is badly affected a quick wipe with a spectacle cleaning cloth clears the dew and then an old duster thrown over keeps the dew at bay.

Archived