Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
dave1978

The large hadron collider?

its finally up and running at 08.39 GMT the first proton beam was injected into the Main LHC ring apparently it will take about another 15 minutes before the first beam actually reaches Atlas as they are in effect collimating the rings eletromagnetic fields in 3 km sections at a time to get the beam centralised No collisions are planned for a couple of days yet though as they need to get two proton beams traveling around the ring in opposing directions regards Pete

Wall of text . . . .

Punctuation.

Definition: Punctuation involves using standard marks to divide writing into meaningful words, phrases or sentences. The common punctuation marks are comma(,), period(.), colon(:), apostrophe('), hyphen(-), semicolon(:clouds2:, and exclamation mark(!).

Billy, I agree. Paragraphs would also go down quite well....

Andrew

So when should we like find out when we have passed over :clouds2: this is freaking scary boi :)

I would tell you what i think of it all but i`d get banned permantly :)

Just been listening to Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 - some of the rubbish he's come out with so far is amazing, stuff like 'if they discover anti-matter' - jeez...

Still, its quite funny really, because its going to be a few months before they switch on the second beam and actually collide anything from what I hear, and even then they won't be running it at full whack until they are happy with the performance.

By the time they actually are ready to use the LHC to its full potential, the media will have packed up and gone home....

Richie

Well, according to the BBC its an atomic smasher.

The media are only happy if its bad news. If they find the Higgs, do you really think there will even be a one line entry in the classifieds. Nope, nothing will be reported, simply because they dont care.

shame as well the higgs is a huge thing, i hope they get a micro black hole, just one mind that decays in miliseconds, that way Dr. Hawking may get his noble prize, deserevedly so too.

Particles have now been fired in both directions successfully today it said on the news.

They have had huge success today and might collide the beams later tonight.

Going back to the comment about power consumption - I reckons someone should go and fit one of those nice 50p electricity meters for a laugh - and hire a bunch of YTS kids to feed the thing - :laughing3:

As about them colliding the beams tonight - I heard the same on the news, and couldn't quite believe it - I understood they were going to be ultra careful and work up to that over the next few months - going for a collision on the first night, hmmm, is that the media trying to accelerate the project! hehehe

Seriously though, whilst we are all pretty happy that these guys know what they are doing, and aren't going to blow up the world, i woulda thought that they would have to spend alot longer checking what must be terabytes of data from the 2 firing's today to make sure that the beams will actually collide at the right spots where the sensor rigs can see them if nothing else? That must surely take along time, right?

Or is Homer Simpson hanging into the tube with a piece of paper to see where the beam hits? LOL

Richie

Do we have any more information about the experiments that are going to be carried out in the next few days?

An extensive assesment of involved risks was performed not only for this stage, but for previous experiments where the distinct possibility of potentially hazardous outcomes was foreseen.

The latest document can be found in the CERN site, but in essence the most reassuring argument against doomsday forecasts, is that the energy levels to be achieved at the LHC are orders of magnitude lower than the energy levels of the most energetic cosmic ray particles, in quantities of millions per second, striking the upper atmosphere.

Equally, within the whole visible universe this same kind of unintended high energy experiment is being carried out billions of time a second, and nowhere has been observed (otherwise we should not be here to comment) any kind of runaway catastrophe as voiced by LHC detractors / would be star-for-a-day doomsayers.

Rodolfo

surely 100K (-173C)...scientists like to use kelvin, its the only true measure of temp.

I could be wrong

have been in the past

surely 100K (-173C)...scientists like to use kelvin, its the only true measure of temp.

I could be wrong

have been in the past

I don't know, it reads 'On Friday, a failure, known as a quench, caused around 100 of the LHC's super-cooled magnets to heat up by as much as 100C.' If that's not a printing mistake, that's boiling point.

I've just noticed that the link I posted earlier has now moved here :scratch:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7626944.stm

Warmed up by 100 degrees. They were at 1.9 Kelvin so they went to 100 Kelvin, that's -173 degrees Celsius isn't it? They lost about a tonne of helium in the process (that's about 1% of what they use).

It's a shame it's going to be down for a couple of months while they warm it, fix it and then cool it down again. I guess Higgs will have to wait a little bit longer.

that's how I understood it, I'm sure there'll be more info out soon.

Warmed up by 100 degrees. They were at 1.9 Kelvin so they went to 100 Kelvin, that's -173 degrees Celsius isn't it? They lost about a tonne of helium in the process (that's about 1% of what they use).

Ok, that clears my confusion. I thought it was a bit too hot :smiley: Perhaps that's why the page was removed and a new one put in place.

Anyway, the LHC is going to be down for months, so we can all chill out for a little while. No black holes for now. Phew!!! (just kidding! :bino2: )

Cant help wondering how they noticed the leak . . .

High pitched squeaky voice shouting "emergency, we have a leak . . . "

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

I liked that one.

Hang on how do you weigh Helium?

You would need the scales up side down :scratch: