SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The large hadron collider?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, half life nerds. don't we both look ace now.

btw i see in your sig you have planned purchases, go for the 130pm i have that and it is awesome. not too big but not too small for a first scope.

quite a few people on here recommended it to me in feb of this year

I have visions of Aliens watching from a distant world all wearing sun glasses and protective clothing shaking their heads. There is a warning sign placed on the bunker wall where they reside they says 'when they hit the switch remember to look away till after the initial shockwave'

Then after the event one of them turns around and says 'Thats a shame, I really liked listening to that country music stuff'.

i cant believe that we are buying in to this end of the world black hole stuff. Even if its meant for a joke we shouldnt encourage the ill informed and the scaremongerers. Its a very expensive experiment, and plenty of research has been done in to using such high energies.

just my opinion

paul

well if we are not here tomorrow then i guess all the scientists will be very red faced...either from heat or from embarrasment.

didnt think we were buying in to it

i am just sick of the beeb reporting like this thing is going to killl us all.

its down right absurd, and frankly i expected better of them.

i am really p****d off with all the media reporting of the switch on, and i shouldnt have claimed that you guys were buying in to it.

Sorry guys

ILL make one prediction which i bet will be bang on. When they switch it on, Cerns Electric Bill is going to go through the roof for the next couple of quaters wonder if their on a meter? quick put another euro in ,its about to run out wonder if their with EON or EDF hope to god its not SWALEC ouch and one wonders who's going to be picking up the carbon tax on this one

So what are people expecting when they start to run this thing up over the next couple of months?

I expect the scientists to discover something really useful for humanity, since once the Big Bang theory is finally going to be put to rest and all school, college and university books will be re-written for the students to provide the correct answer, then the next question remains: what came first? And who is going to answer that one? :clouds2:

With regards to a possible black hole being produced by the collision of particles, I do excpect and hope that the scientists have got their maths and engineering right, along with a good back up plan in case things might turn out a little strange....... :toothy2:

When they do decide to go for it, and these minute bullets head for each other at all but light speed,

who's to say they won't miss each other.?

Are there so many that collision is inevitable, or are they channelled toward each other to ensure they collide.?

I'm sure this question sums up my knowledge of particle accelerators.

Ron. :clouds2:

Taken from Astronomy now online:

The LHC in numbers
Circumference 27 km
Depth 100 m
Number of detectors 6
Speed of protons 99.9999991% speed of light
No. trips beams make around LHC 11,245 /sec
Number of collisions 600 million/sec
Number of magnets 9,600
Temperature of magnets 1.6 K (-271.25 C)
Number of sensors 150 million
Data expected during experiments 700MB/sec (15 million GB/yr)
Annual power consumption 800,000 mega-Watt hours (19m Euros)

Cost to build $6 billion

Hi guys to try and answer both of your questions Ron's first the LHC will fire two beams of protons travelling around the ring in opposite directions one clockwise and one anti clockwise. Built around the ring at four different locations are 4 massive detectors all different and all designed to look for specific particle trails. what happens is where each of the detectors are the beams are forced to cross each other inside the detectors the beams up until this point are travelling inside small tubes which have been evacuated and are surrounded by a series of very powerful electromagnets which for want of a better word compress the beam into a very small point so when the two beams cross they will be travelling across the detectors in exactly the same path so the chances of a collision are very high. now for Carl's question basically Carl using much lower energies in similar devices the particle physicists have managed to discover a whole series of small sub atomic particles which when combined together make up all the different types of atoms that we see. they used these small particles to come up with a model of how quantum physics describes how matter is formed and how it behaves at the very small level this is important because it goes some way to telling us what the universe was like around the time of the big bang to try and explain how the various galaxies and other objects formed but like all scientific theories the basic model is not perfect and it has two major flaws the first is that all the sub atomic particles within the model keep being predicted to have zero mass the second flaw is the minute they try and add Gravity , the model goes haywire so to try and get a better understanding the LHC has been created it is designed to work at much higher Energy levels 10 x the largest collider energy previously generated what they are looking for is a special particle called the Higgs Boson this particle would fix the model to some extent by giving back Mass to the sub atomic particles. It will also create the conditions at the creation of the universe at one billionth of a second after the Big Bang so if it works we may get to see almost the very moment of creation of the universe hope this explains what its all about regards Pete

Archived