Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
dave1978

The large hadron collider?

So what are people expecting when they start to run this thing up over the next couple of months?

Some people are saying they could create a black hole and wipe out the earth!

The science involved must be so complex they must have some reservations about what might happen. Reminds me of the Trinity tests when they thought there was a possibility that the explosion would ignite the entire sky, but luckily that didnt happen.

The black hole story was just a bit of sensationalism, in realilty the black holes created will be miniscule and only in existence for a split second. The press/ some crackpots just latched onto "black holes" and ran with it (in the wrong direction).

Looking forward to hearing when they find the Higgs Boson :clouds2:

It's a very shy particle :) :) :p

if...they find the higgs boson. In fact we shouldnt find thre higgs boson. Finding the higgs boson lends weight to the standard model of particle physics, which we know is wrong!

its a bit backwards, but the LHC should provide some intriguing insights.

One of the more speculative hopes is discovering supersymmetric particles. This would be evidence for string theory being the correct description of quantum gravity

is there going to be live broadcasts on it? or is it a case of sky news saying "oh and by the way they ran the LHC up this morning......." - I enjoyed watching the mars landing live, and something similar on this would be very interesting....

Higgs Boson I reckon - it's just waiting to be found!

Brill link Matt. Steve Punt is a funny guy, enjoyed is quip on Paris Hilton.

I love a sense of humour. He'd like the Internet un invented, and witers going back to High stools & quill pens. Cracked me up that did. :laughing2:

Ron.

I'd really love to see the LHC throw a big spanner in the works of the so-called "Standard Model"...

The scientists are excited no matter what happens. Though the 'standard model' has been pretty resislient so far!

Im waiting for the hysteria to begin in the tabloids next week......

Forget the tabloids! its the darn idiotic BBC we need to watch out for with their patronising reporting and sensationalism attitude. I have big problems with the BBC as you can tell.

as do i dave after they run that article last month on the flat earth nutters and gave them publicity

My main goat with them is what they did in the Falklands war! the Argentinian bombs wernt correctly fused so when dropped they cut straight through our ships without going off. And guess which global media company aired it worldwide? Yes the BBC, the Argentinians must have been so pleased with them for informing them that their boombs wernt right. Soon after our destroyers got hit and this time the bombs went offwith many killed and injured and IMO all down to the BBC.

And the way they strut about like the school snitch! :clouds2:

I read once that they blew the Goose Green attack at well.

The Higgs Boson if found will be a big turning point in science.

The question I think is wether cosmology on the mass scale can be linked to quantum physics on the microscopic scale.

eg.

What is mass?

What is gravity?

Einstein had a problem with this.

Energy = Mass and so on but there is a missing bit.

The two don't link up.

Quantum physics is only a theory and could be proved wrong.

What then? if the God particle is found then we need to rethink everything and light speed could be a possiblity.

Bernie.

anyone know what happens if this goes wrong? and i don't mean black hole wrong i mean chernobyl wrong?

We can't even accurately predict the weather forecast. :clouds2:

Sounds like guesswork by a bunch of guessers to me! :)

anyone know what happens if this goes wrong? and i don't mean black hole wrong i mean chernobyl wrong?

What do you mean chernobyl wrong? They're not firing Kilos of plutonium and the like around switzerland.

No worries!! At least you will be able to sue the cockroaches if it goes bandy. :clouds2: