Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The large hadron collider?

So what are people expecting when they start to run this thing up over the next couple of months?

Some people are saying they could create a black hole and wipe out the earth!

The science involved must be so complex they must have some reservations about what might happen. Reminds me of the Trinity tests when they thought there was a possibility that the explosion would ignite the entire sky, but luckily that didnt happen.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The black hole story was just a bit of sensationalism, in realilty the black holes created will be miniscule and only in existence for a split second. The press/ some crackpots just latched onto "black holes" and ran with it (in the wrong direction).

if...they find the higgs boson. In fact we shouldnt find thre higgs boson. Finding the higgs boson lends weight to the standard model of particle physics, which we know is wrong!

its a bit backwards, but the LHC should provide some intriguing insights.

One of the more speculative hopes is discovering supersymmetric particles. This would be evidence for string theory being the correct description of quantum gravity

is there going to be live broadcasts on it? or is it a case of sky news saying "oh and by the way they ran the LHC up this morning......." - I enjoyed watching the mars landing live, and something similar on this would be very interesting....

Im waiting for the hysteria to begin in the tabloids next week......

Forget the tabloids! its the darn idiotic BBC we need to watch out for with their patronising reporting and sensationalism attitude. I have big problems with the BBC as you can tell.

My main goat with them is what they did in the Falklands war! the Argentinian bombs wernt correctly fused so when dropped they cut straight through our ships without going off. And guess which global media company aired it worldwide? Yes the BBC, the Argentinians must have been so pleased with them for informing them that their boombs wernt right. Soon after our destroyers got hit and this time the bombs went offwith many killed and injured and IMO all down to the BBC.

And the way they strut about like the school snitch! :clouds2:

The Higgs Boson if found will be a big turning point in science.

The question I think is wether cosmology on the mass scale can be linked to quantum physics on the microscopic scale.

eg.

What is mass?

What is gravity?

Einstein had a problem with this.

Energy = Mass and so on but there is a missing bit.

The two don't link up.

Quantum physics is only a theory and could be proved wrong.

What then? if the God particle is found then we need to rethink everything and light speed could be a possiblity.

Bernie.

Archived