Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Morpheus issue

Hi,

I've purchased my first "high-end" eyepiece Morpheus 6.5mm.

But i have an issue. Every time i try to look through the eyepiece and "look around" in its beautiful fov, i get these blackouts.

Any idea how to avoid them and enjoy the full field of view?

Its REALLY annoying. So much that it makes me sad that i wasted my money...(high-school student.. basically all my money)

Thanks

Mathyas

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Practice! Sounds like you're trying to get in too close, keep your eye just far enough away from the lens so you can just see the field stop right at the edge of the FoV. The Morpheus are a great range of eyepieces... Loved mine.

Which rubber eyecup are you using ?

The Morpheus comes with 2 types, a fold up and down winged one and a taller, circular one which can also fold up and down. You may need to fold the eyecup up or down to find the correct postioning for your eye. This can take some practice but if you don't wear glasses when observing the tallest position of the eyecup (ie: so your eye is positioned a little further from the eye lens) usually works best.

The Morpheus eyepieces have eye relief of nearly 20mm so, if you don't wear glasses, your eye will need to be about that far above the eyelens to avoid blackouts / kidney beaning.

Agreed. Getting the eyeball in a bit too close. I get that if I forget to extend the eye guards on my Delos eyepieces. And I know that they are about the best that you can get. I'm pretty sure that the Morphius is in the same ball park in terms of quality. 

Paul 

7 hours ago, laudropb said:

I have used Morpheus eps in my 200p with no blackout problems. It is just a matter of eye position which you will quickly learn with practice.

I have the same scope :) Guess you guys are all right. Thanks for the tips :)

I also have a Morpheus, but the 14mm and I love it, and also use it in a 200p Skyliner.

However, as the previous posts have mentioned, it took me a bit of practice to find the correct eye position relative to my other eyepieces, which are mainly the BST Starguiders together with an ES 24mm and Skywatcher Panaview 32mm.

You'll get there if you persevere.

Ade

I had the Morpheus 14mm, and found it very comfortable for use with glasses (a must for those with astigmatism), Certainly not more difficult than the other EPs with 20mm exit pupil, if not perhaps quite as comfy as the famous Pentax XW range I have. All these EPs take some getting used to. Once you find the sweet spot, you will love these EPs.

6 hours ago, Mathyas said:

Well i do, but i can take it off during sessions. Seems it doesnt matter because i can focus with the scope both ways.

Check your eyeglass prescription for astigmatism (CYL or Cylinder).  Look at the Astigmatism Visibility chart on the Televue Dioptrx page to see if you might want to consider wearing them at the eyepiece based on your correction number.  If you have little to no astigmatism, you don't need to wear eyeglasses at the eyepiece, especially at high powers.

You could make a taller eye cup from a sheet of black craft foam and either some glue or tape to hold it in a tube shape.  You can then slide it up or down to guide your eye to the correction position once you've located it by backing off from the eye lens.  I recommend approaching the eyepiece and stopping once the entire field of view becomes visible.  Slide the eye guard up to your face at that point.

Mathyas you have most certainly not wasted your money as everyone has pointed out eye position is critical when observing with any eyepiece.

It took a bit of practice when I first received my 13mm ethos but once you get that eye position right it becomes second nature ?

Bit of an update, for anyone with the same problems.

i will try some "eyecup" from a piece of that thingy in the middle of toilet paper. Fits perfectly :):D lets see how this is going to work :)

Okay.

I think i will call it a success. Made two "eyecups" out of toilet paper.

One for normal use:

20170609_221451.thumb.jpg.d03dda6ee3c0812f58d3eb835f70d34b.jpg

And one for when i wear eyeglasses

20170609_221521.thumb.jpg.973d4e9185c63e8b9a43906bb35b36e0.jpg

You know what they say.

If its stupid, but it works, it aint stupid :D

(Sorry for such huge images. Already cropped them, but im too lazy to make them smaller :D)

1 minute ago, John said:

I'm glad it works :icon_biggrin:

The eyepiece should have come with a rubber eyecup very similar to that though  :icon_scratch:

Yeah. Thats the only thing i dont like about them. Those poorly made soft eyecups...

It does yeah, but still some blackouts when i look in certain way. Gonna work on that

6 hours ago, John said:

I'm glad it works :icon_biggrin:

The eyepiece should have come with a rubber eyecup very similar to that though  :icon_scratch:

The circular eyecup is so flimsy it flips down when you touch it.  It also isn't very tall.  I have found that the screw on eyecup from the Astro Tech AF70 eyepieces fit it perfectly and are very rigid.  Both have M43 threads.  Baader should offer those eyecups as an option.  They hold your face at exactly the right distance to avoid blackouts when not wearing glasses.

it seems you've sorted it, but I use the Morpheus range with a 200p also. I have the  same issue if I forget to lift up the eye cup, and yes they are rubbish, poor design for a quality eye piece. Also to say I find the 6.5 is a bit more sensitive to eye position than the 14.

Archived