Narrowband

'Observing and measuring visual double stars'' - is it worth upgrading?

I'm planning on re-reading my copy of Bob Argyle's excellent book 'observing and measuring visual double stars''. My copy is the original 2004 edition with the red cover.  Is there much notable difference between this and the latter edition with the blue cover?

56 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

Is it worth getting a (cheaper) used first edition? What does it offer over eg CDSA?

Chris

I already have the first edition. My question relates to whether it's worth buying the second edition and sell my first edition.

Just now, michaelmorris said:

I already have the first edition. My question relates to whether it's worth buying the second edition and sell my first edition.

Sorry, I put it badly - I meant, is it worthwhile someone like me buying the first edition, as it's not a book I have.

Chris

4 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

The link goes to the (much cheaper) first edition.

Sorry about that the original link was to a blue cover no idea why it changed and cannot find it on there site now unless it was a mistake and they have rectified.

1 hour ago, chiltonstar said:

Is it worth getting a (cheaper) used first edition? What does it offer over eg CDSA?

Chris

CDSA (Cambridge double star atlas) is primarily an atlas and list of doubles. Bob Argyle's book is an introduction to double star observing and a detailed 'how to do it' guide for different measurement techniques.  

The difference is analogous to having a road atlas and a guide how to drive a car.

Mike according to the bluirb there are 6 new chapters and the others have been throughly revised so I suspect it may be worth getting the new edition (I know I rewrote my chapter :-)

Owen

On 2017-6-9 at 19:21, obrazell said:

Mike according to the bluirb there are 6 new chapters and the others have been throughly revised so I suspect it may be worth getting the new edition (I know I rewrote my chapter :-)

Owen

Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived