Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_galaxies_winners.thumb.jpg.92ab73c3699031e815897184054b8f7c.jpg

steppenwolf

The Orion Nebula - a different processing technique!

10 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Now there's a great idea, how about the whole area from Alnitak downwards? Perhaps step out the Barnard's Loop and the Witch Head Nebula? Who is brave enough to ask the question of the lady with the sharp needle? :evil1:

Best methinks if that request was actioned by the telephone, just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

There's a thought... Why not just make it all of Orion?   

Of course to allow for the resolution it would need to be a reasonable size - I think Olly/Tom's version ended up close to 8x2 metres(?), but I guess you might be able to get away with something slighly smaller... but it might take a few days longer :D:evil:

(I think we'll leave the lady with the sharp needles to you though...!)

• Like 1

That's great Steve - very interesting representation - your wife has done a good job on Orion !- I have been meaning to try out one those canvas printing systems which could render AP shots as a sort of impressionistic painting - this is better I think and a different way to present images that has artistic merit -but a lot of work!- regards Tony

• Like 1

While we're in the business of upsetting the lady with the sharp needles I really feel you should suggest stitching at the eyepiece. What better way to record an observation? 😜 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

While we're in the business of upsetting the lady with the sharp needles I really feel you should suggest stitching at the eyepiece. What better way to record an observation? 😜 

In Greyscale John? :icon_biggrin:.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

While we're in the business of upsetting the lady with the sharp needles I really feel you should suggest stitching at the eyepiece.

I have just suggested this to Janie and without hesitation, she replied 'I'll stitch him at the eyepiece'. Now to be honest, I don't think she is talking needles here, I believe this is in relation to her famous 'Glaswegian Kiss' with the stitches to be applied soon afterwards. :eek:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

her famous 'Glaswegian Kiss' with the stitches to be applied soon afterwards. :eek:

Now you lost me. I had to look that up, and something is lost in either translation or context. Got the "Glaswegian Kiss", but the "her famous" baffles me.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Now you lost me. I had to look that up, and something is lost in either translation or context. Got the "Glaswegian Kiss", but the "her famous" baffles me.

I too hadn't heard of 'her famous' Glaswegian Kiss. A google search didn't turn up anything so frankly I'm not intimidated Steve! 👀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barkis said:

In Greyscale John? :icon_biggrin:.

I think Janie should have a few green silks on hand for M42 Ron  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnfosteruk said:

I too hadn't heard of 'her famous' Glaswegian Kiss. A google search didn't turn up anything so frankly I'm not intimidated Steve! 👀

For Information Only John.
May I add, Mrs Richard is a sweet lady of gentle nature.
However, I've no Idea if the Incredible Hulk Syndrome manifests If she is riled :eek:.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headbutt

• Like 2

1 hour ago, barkis said:

That fact was already evident from a previous thread started by Steve last year:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barkis said:

For Information Only John.
However, I've no Idea if the Incredible Hulk Syndrome manifests If she is riled :eek:.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headbutt

I'll not take any further risks then :)

because Janey is lovely, not for fear of the Incredible Hulk syndrome!!!!

more WIP please Steve. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wimvb said:

By famous, I don't mean that Janie invented it, just that she is a master at delivering it - she often delivers her 'special kiss' when I am practising on my bagpipes ........ Generally, as Ron has intimated, she is calm, kind, gracious, gorgeous and controlled but when riled, the situation changes dramatically :confused1:

I do so hope that non-members can't read this thread ..........

5 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

I do so hope that non-members can't read this thread ..........

We'll know when a new member named Mrssteppenwolf comments on this thread.

• Like 1

UPDATE 24/06/17

The project is in full swing and here we are two weeks in! The subtle colour changes that this technique relies on is clearly visible already - it's not all about resolution!

Orion_stitch_240617.thumb.png.c4911d4f377f0f585b46e5409cd71d2b.png

• Like 10

It seems like the Trapezium is coming along nicely.

On 08/06/2017 at 11:30, swag72 said:

How jolly interesting!!! I am looking forward to seeing this develop for sure!!! :) 

Surely, not developed these days, but processed ?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wimvb said:

It seems like the Trapezium is coming along nicely.

It certainly is!

Just a quick word - that may come in handy down-the-road:

I have an inherited vison-trait that is loosely called 'Monocular-Vison.' I use one-eye as the focus, while my other eye works as a range-finder. This shifts off right-to-left & left-to right dependent on which direction I am directing my vison. The result is that I can't see those silly 3-D movies in sillier-still glasses - Oh-Boo-Hoo-Hoo! I see in 3-D though, I'm quite capable of sensing depth and such - I just do it by a different means than others. As stated - this is inherited generation-to-generation.

I saw a good close-up of the Native Chief Quanah Parker - of the Comanche Peoples. A direct ancestor of mine. Sure enough - he too shows this if you look closely. One eye looking directly toward the subject being viewed, while the other is slightly drifted about as a range-finder.

So, as a result of my family-line, I am literally unable to 'connect-the-dots' and see a focused image from these cross-stitch works. But this in no way intereferes with my ability to see through a telescope. If anything, my seeing depth & contrast exceeds those without this genetic-trait.

Interesting, eh?

Dave

594ef7848e597_QuanahParker.jpg.1c3b6c27405e9c6db2aa1e08affb2a41.jpg

Second panel of twelve has been completed and it's taking shape nicely:-

stitch_040817.thumb.png.44d49e6fb54b5ed43939a9806fb996ce.png

• Like 6

That's REALLY impressive... The amount of work that's going into this is extreme to say the least - The mind boggles! 

(I bet the reverse looks a tad different?!)

59 minutes ago, AndyUK said:

(I bet the reverse looks a tad different?!)

Gotta be honest, the reverse ain't so pretty! :icon_biggrin: