SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Atik 383L with 1.25" filters ok???

It will,

The QSI version is better still as the inbuilt filterwheel is closer the the chip reducing the vignette obviously this increases the price.

worth also looking at the Moravian one too

I think it would be a bit tight.  I used mine with 36mm unmounted filters.  These are easy to set up and not much more expensive.  The QSI can use 1.25" filters (I am told), but there is a significant step up in price.  Moravian G2-8300 is also more expensive and I decided (after considering everything) to stick with the 36mm filters again.

If you want it from the horse's mouth, why not drop Atik an e-mail?  I found them reasonably responsive.  FLO would also be able to asist.

2 minutes ago, gnomus said:

......The QSI can use 1.25" filters (I am told), but there is a significant step up in price.  Moravian G2-8300 is also more expensive.......

I can absolutely confirm that the QSI can use 1.25" filters and also the Moravian G2-8300 WITH the internal filter wheel. Personally if I didn't have an integrated filter wheel I'd be looking at larger filters.

Just now, swag72 said:

I can absolutely confirm that the QSI can use 1.25" filters and also the Moravian G2-8300 WITH the internal filter wheel. Personally if I didn't have an integrated filter wheel I'd be looking at larger filters.

This is a good point.  Both my G2-8300s have external wheels.

But wasn't the original poster's query as regards an Atik383L.  I was told when i bought mine that it needed to be 2" filters.  

Having read this, it's the chip size that attracts the OP not necessarily the Atik383L, so the comments about the integrated FW of the QSI might be more tempting.  

Carole 

Just now, carastro said:

But wasn't the original poster's query as regards an Atik383L.  I was told when i bought mine that it needed to be 2" filters. ....

I thought it would be good to open up the OP's choices to cameras that certainly DO accept 1.25" filters should the general consensus of opinion be that they're not ideal for the 383L :)

I'm using my 383L with 1.25 Baader LRGB filters connected to my OTA which is a SW Esprit 120.   It works just fine.     I asked the exact same question (on a different forum) when i was on the market for a 383, 2 other users pipped up, both with experinece of the 383L and 1.25 filters and also said they had no porblems.

Rgds
Aidan

1 hour ago, carastro said:

But wasn't the original poster's query as regards an Atik383L.  I was told when i bought mine that it needed to be 2" filters.  

Having read this, it's the chip size that attracts the OP not necessarily the Atik383L, so the comments about the integrated FW of the QSI might be more tempting.  

Carole 

I suppose that the filter wheel needs to be considered since distance from chip to filter might vary depending on wheel.  I used an Atik EFW2.  The 36mm seem to work in that, without significant vignetting.

22 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I'm using my 383L with 1.25 Baader LRGB filters connected to my OTA which is a SW Esprit 120.   It works just fine.     I asked the exact same question (on a different forum) when i was on the market for a 383, 2 other users pipped up, both with experinece of the 383L and 1.25 filters and also said they had no porblems.

Rgds
Aidan

Is that with an EFW2, Aidan.

(This thread reminds me that I must get round to selling my Atik gear at some point.  It's just sitting around in its boxes.......)

If your planning on buying new then this may be of interest to you. 

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=127023

Personally I think it's a bit expensive for 2nd hand, but then again the seller may set the price higher for some haggling room. Atleast you'll be all set with ccd, wheel and full set of filters. 

EDIT: I paid £1450 for the same items 2nd hand, so I'd be inclined to use this as a reference guide for price. 

The thing that everyone always fails to mention when questions like this come up is that vignetting has a dependency on f-ratio so for slower scopes you will likely get away with it but not for faster scopes. 

4 hours ago, Astroblagger said:

Hello Im considering buying an Atik 383L mono, will this be ok to use with 1.25" filters? was also looking at a atik 460 but the chip size of the 383L is a big draw.

So what scope will you use?

It depends on what speed optics the camera will be on.

Personal experience showed that you are fine at f6 (but with some correctable vignetting) - but not at f5, and definitely not f4 or below! However, if you can get the filter really close to the camera you might get better results. I went down the 2" route in the end, simply becuase it removes all question of whether you are getting enough light or not (but sadly, its a little expensive!).

I use 1.25" Astrodon 5nm Ha filter with my 383, I have it as close as possible to the camera.
The filter is inside a TS Canon adapter and wound right upto the camera glass.
With a Samyang 135mm f2 there is vignetting but good flats take care of it.

• 1 year later...
On 10/06/2017 at 14:31, wxsatuser said:

I use 1.25" Astrodon 5nm Ha filter with my 383, I have it as close as possible to the camera.
The filter is inside a TS Canon adapter and wound right upto the camera glass.
With a Samyang 135mm f2 there is vignetting but good flats take care of it.

Any chance you could send me a link to that adapter?

10 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

The adapter is the TS version of the Geoptik.

It's on offer at the moment.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7835_TS-Optics-Optics-Adapter-for-Canon-EOS-Lenses-to-T2-for-CCD-cameras---with-1-4--photo-thread.html

You will need the rotator and spacer.

Let me find them for you later as Im at work.

2 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

The adapter is the TS version of the Geoptik.

It's on offer at the moment.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7835_TS-Optics-Optics-Adapter-for-Canon-EOS-Lenses-to-T2-for-CCD-cameras---with-1-4--photo-thread.html

You will need the rotator and spacer.

Let me find them for you later as Im at work.

Thanks Mike. I'm looking at your website there, lovely images.  Were any the widefields taken with the 383?

14 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Here are the links to the rotator and 3mm spacer.

3mm spacer
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5731_TS-Optics-Optics---T2-Extension-Tube---Length-3mm.html

rotator
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5547_TS-Optics-T2-Thread-360--Rotation-and-Quick-Changer---5-5mm-short.html

This setup gives 19mm for the lens adapter, 5.5mm for the rotator and 3mm extension.
Atik 383 has 17mm back focus so all up this should be 44.5mm for a Canon lens should be ok.
Normally a filter will add about another 1mm depending on glass thickness.
Mine seems to work ok with this distance.
The Astrodon filter is inside the TS Canon adapter and is wound right upto the Atik glass.
There is vignetting but good flats do the trick.
Obviously it's not easy to change filters but to me it did not matter.

6 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

Here are the links to the rotator and 3mm spacer.

3mm spacer
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5731_TS-Optics-Optics---T2-Extension-Tube---Length-3mm.html

rotator
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5547_TS-Optics-T2-Thread-360--Rotation-and-Quick-Changer---5-5mm-short.html

This setup gives 19mm for the lens adapter, 5.5mm for the rotator and 3mm extension.
Atik 383 has 17mm back focus so all up this should be 44.5mm for a Canon lens should be ok.
Normally a filter will add about another 1mm depending on glass thickness.
Mine seems to work ok with this distance.
The Astrodon filter is inside the TS Canon adapter and is wound right upto the Atik glass.
There is vignetting but good flats do the trick.
Obviously it's not easy to change filters but to me it did not matter.

Thanks for taking time to reply. You detailed answer has covered everything I needed to know ??

On 22/06/2018 at 13:12, wxsatuser said:

here is mine complete with lashed up focus motor
atiksamyang2.thumb.jpg.6c030caf8869a88c8efe239c77f81826.jpg

Awesome job there Mike. I have three of the SW motor focusers not used so I could rig something up. I ordered a few adapters and spacers today so will see how it works when it arrives!

Archived