Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A moonlit veil - reprocess if you like

Here is an hour of the Veil nebula from last night. 60 x 1 min @ ISO3200, due to the nearly full Moon
This is through my ED80 + FR + modded Canon 1100d
The sample image here is cropped, has had flats applied, stacked and some basic levels and contrast enhancement.
veil-60min-flats-stack-levels-crop-small.thumb.jpg.fedd2e10d39f99cf5e7bfbd4120d8198.jpg

If you'd like to have a bash at doing some work on the unexpurgated version (after flats and stacking, no more) it's on my Google drive and you can download a copy from here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B20AI4dehc3hc2RFU05Hc3FjT3M/view?usp=sharing

Be aware it's a 10MPix compressed TIF that weighs in at 118MB.
I'd appreciate any results that people are willing to share.

21 minutes ago, AKB said:

Was there something particular you were after?

Not really. I put it up to see what people could make of it.

Where the trade-offs between noise and colour/contrast were. What "undiscovered" stuff can be dragged out. If it's possible or desirable to make the stars smaller?
it's just for a bit of fun, really.

I seem to have ended up with slightly reduced stars, obviously different colour balance, and some smoothing of the nebula itself, but I don't think I uncovered anything you didn't.  Let's see if anyone else does something different.

On 06/06/2017 at 17:46, pete_l said:

Here is an hour of the Veil nebula from last night. 60 x 1 min @ ISO3200, due to the nearly full Moon
This is through my ED80 + FR + modded Canon 1100d
The sample image here is cropped, has had flats applied, stacked and some basic levels and contrast enhancement.

If you'd like to have a bash at doing some work on the unexpurgated version (after flats and stacking, no more) it's on my Google drive and you can download a copy from here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B20AI4dehc3hc2RFU05Hc3FjT3M/view?usp=sharing

Be aware it's a 10MPix compressed TIF that weighs in at 118MB.
I'd appreciate any results that people are willing to share.

How much night do you get where you are?  Here in sunny West Sussex there are no full nights at all now, you can just see Jupiter for a little while, and the Moon, with a little more, briefly, if you can stay up until 1am.

So I'm taking an enforced two month sabbatical from the night sky!  Time to do some fixing up, new home-made Bahtinov (second try), converted tool-shed into Obsy (tools now in garage), complete Arduino automation etc etc etc.

Steve.

9 minutes ago, SteveBz said:

How do you reduce star size?  Everything looks a bit more in focus in the last two pics.

Steve.

Dunno in PS, but in PixInsight, you create a star mask which selects "donuts" round each star. Then you erode the image in these areas. This shrinks the stars, and fades small stars.

33 minutes ago, SteveBz said:

How much night do you get where you are?  Here in sunny West Sussex there are no full nights at all now, you can just see Jupiter for a little while, and the Moon, with a little more, briefly, if you can stay up until 1am.

Here in deepest, darkest, Andalucia we get about 5 hours of astronomical darkness at this time of year. It's one of the advantages of being closer to the equator. The down side is that winter nights are shorter.

The other down side is the mosquitos.

Archived