Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How have i missed this?....

estwing

On 06/06/2017 at 20:59, niallk said:

Interesting!  Must look, but won't hold my breath (until I get my scope down to the dark skies of Kerry in late August :) )

I love the outer shell visible in that highly over exposed pic of the Ring.  It's like the O-III shells around the Cat's Eye ;)

look foward to that report. in the top 10 darkest skies in the world :eek:. sure it was ranked about 6th

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/06/2017 at 12:54, estwing said:

Like many when it come along M57 is a wonderful target to observe....so how come I've missed the galaxy next to it!... mag 14 so its not impossible.

Has anyone bagged this?...IC 1296..http://www.deepskyforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2222&d=1471085229

according to skysafari its mag 15.39

2 hours ago, faulksy said:

according to skysafari its mag 15.39

There're many different numbers everywhere. The faint fuxzzies I've seen or not able to see seem to corresponds well to the numbers given here

http://www.deepskylog.org/index.php?indexAction=quickpick&titleobjectaction=Search&source=quickpick&myLanguages=true&object=ic+1296&searchObjectQuickPickQuickPick=Search Object

7 hours ago, Piero said:

What you say makes sense, but a larger aperture will make those same targets easier to spot, to observe, and to appreciate.

I totally agree.

As there are a limited number of targets that we can see well, ie M51,M101 etc- the showcase objects- a properly selected larger aperture telescope really shows the detail, assuming dark transparent skies. For me it not just about detecting an object- I want to see them easily and well and as said there are only so many that show superbly, IMHO.

There are always unlimited faint, threshold objects no matter what scope we have.

One more point- I like the 15" f4.8's or the 16" f4.5's for another reason- they give about a 1.3 deg TFOV with a 30mm ES or equivalent and so do very well on many nebula...very well.

I've observed it several times through an 18" Obsession ( which I sold :( ) from dark sites.  Usual requirements - dark, transparent, full dark adaptation & good finder chart.

Try not to look at M57 as it does 'blind' you...

...good hunting :)

Paul

Calvin,

Got to confess I have never seen anything but will check it out for where it is. When I think how many times I have used vega then M57 for a tests when reviewing eyepieces, will need at least the the 12 inch though, if it ever stops raining. Also consider the hours I have looked for the centre star though power may well have taken it out of FOV.

Archived