Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

DHEB

Bresser Messier AR102xs 102/460 f/4.5 refractor

Hello SGL'ers

I have long considered different options for a capable yet affordable combo that will enable problem-free train and air travel, as well as comfortable bicycle and backpacking tours. I recently saw that this new scope has become available and got interested. As it is a new product there is not much information around, with the exception of a lengthy thread in a German forum and one in CN (where I also posted more or less the same content shown below, except for the photos, that are only posted here - hope you do not mind).

I received the scope yesterday. The telescope is indeed small (43 cm without diagonal, compare with normal keyboard below) and relatively light (~2.8 kg). It came well packaged. The important parts (focuser, dovetail, lens?) are of good quality, with the exception of the diagonal which obviously needs upgrading to something more serious. Other parts are less qualitative (finder scope, the finder scope plastic holder, the included 26 mm plössl eyepiece) but I do not worry about these since I will not be using a finder scope and have other, better eyepieces. The package included two extensions as well, I assume for photographic use.

Tests made during daylight using the supplied 26 mm plössl (giving 17.7 x) showed very nice images without any striking problems. The combination of scope, diagonal and EP apparently inverts horizontally but not vertically, so the system works well for terrestrial targets as birds. I also setup up at "night" to do some tests but these results are possibly not very representative since it does not get dark here in this time of the year (only civil dark with the Sun reaching a minimum elevation of 8 degrees below the horizon). A street lamp about 50 m away showed a clear blue rim on one side. Not terribly annoying, but it was there. Same with Arcturus, which showed a red tint, or flare that shouldn't be there. Dimmer stars looked OK, but as said above, the sky was too bright and I could barely detect stars of mag 7, even with this scope. I could not test with Moon or Jupiter, as these were hidden behind the trees. I used the ES 82/8.8 mm eyepiece for these tests.

I also acquired a Vixen Porta II Altaz mount on an APP-TL130 tripod for use with it. The mount is simply excellent, and the tripod is sturdy and very light, a highly recommendable pair! My first impression is that this telescope is great value for the money and that the system will work perfectly for my intended purpose. The fact that bright stars, and surely Moon and planets, show obvious chromatic aberration is not a problem for me. As a visual observer, mostly interested in variable stars and DSO's, I believe this scope and mount will provide a good combo for me. For all other things I can always use my 200 f/5 Newtonian.

I will write a longer review when I do some serious night testing. That will be when it actually gets dark again, namely in two months :happy11:

BR102-460_1.jpg

BR102-460_2.jpg

BR102-460_3.jpg

• Like 5

finally some first-hand experience and info on this scope! I am considering it too, as a replacement for my ST80 (but maybe I'll keep them both). How do you rate the build quality of the focuser?

Just now, kilix said:

finally some first-hand experience and info on this scope! I am considering it too, as a replacement for my ST80 (but maybe I'll keep them both). How do you rate the build quality of the focuser?

It is really very good, solid and nice quality. As some user over in CN wrote, a possibly useful upgrade would be a microfocuser (10x). The only detail I was a bit weary about was that when moving the scope manually using the Porta II mount I tended to grab on the scope side of the focuser, loosening it a bit, having to adjust it at least twice I cannot ascribe this to a build problem though, but probably only to my own clumsiness.

• Like 1

Sounds a great scope for £220....    be good to see some images from it.   

I also believe it is a very good scope for the money. Obviously, compromises were made but overall I have a good impression.

The one thing I believe can be questioned is why manufacturers add arguably low value items to these scopes, like a flimsy finderscope, a cheap eyepiece or plastic diagonal. I believe it is sounder practice to invest in few valuable and meaningful items, optics and mechanics, rather than adding things that will not be used or soon replaced. In this case, for example, I would rather not paid for that finderscope and that eyepiece.

Just a reflection.

• Like 2

I am also looking forward to some further reports on this scope.  Also wondering whether it would be possible to pair with a Star wave Mini Az mount? I will need to give it some thought. 

4 hours ago, Jforson said:

I am also looking forward to some further reports on this scope

There is a fairly long thread on this scope over at CN. Have a look at it.

4 hours ago, Jforson said:

Also wondering whether it would be possible to pair with a Star wave Mini Az mount? I will need to give it some thought. 

You can check yourself by looking at the mount specs. The Bresser Messier AR102xs weighs 2.8 Kg and is 43 cm long (without diagonal and eyepiece). It mounts using a Vixen dovetail.

Thanks for the heads up on the CN forum I will have a look later this evening.  

Sorry to drag this post back up from a year ago.

Is there any review on the ED lens element side?.. how is this working out?. is there CA

Thanks

I only know of a discussion in a German forum, where the results of some tests where posted. As far as I remember, the test showed CA to be comparable to that on a certain SW 80  telescope.
I have used this telescope during more than a year. My experience is very positive. There is CA, but it is only a bother around the brightest objects. I use it for as grab and go, and travel scope, for observing variable stars and bright DSO's. In general, as a low power wide field scope, it is excellent.

I think there is going to be some CA with an F/4.5 refractor whatever glass is used in the objective lens. Even Takahashi could not avoid CA completely when they created the Sky 90, which uses a Fluorite element at F/5.6.

There is a bit more information in this thread - it does appear that DHEB from Sweden is happy with the OTA which is always useful to get first hand opinions of someone that has used the scope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

t does appear that DHEB from Sweden is happy with the OTA

Indeed. It is a light, portable, yet very capable little scope. The extra 1:10 focal reducer is a very handy addition. I recently started to do some solar observation with it. I tested even adding a 2.5X Barlow in the optical train to see details in the Moon and Sun with acceptable results at 100X and 130X. Of course CA is present in these cases, but it is OK. So far I have no complaints or problems with this instrument.

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 1

I bought the same scope a few weeks ago. I completely agree with all of the comments made above about the quality of the scope and the lack of quality of the finder etc. There is very little CA in this scope. What CA there is, is very tolerable. The focuser on the scope is a dream. Its so smooth.

I have mine mounted on SW AZ5 tripod and mount.

The scope is absolutely a bargain at just over 200 quid.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

There is very little CA in this scope. What CA there is, is very tolerable.

The focuser on the scope is a dream. Its so smooth.

The scope is absolutely a bargain at just over 200 quid.

Agree w all 3 points.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

9 minutes ago, DHEB said:

Agree w all 3 points.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

I bought it mainly for solar observing with my Quark. To be honest, its too good a scope just to use for solar observing. Its my new grab n go scope.

Well, it will be in Sept. I dont usually do any observing during the summer because it doesnt get dark til late (you'd know a bit about that, living in Sweden).

7 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Well, it will be in Sept. I dont usually do any observing during the summer because it doesnt get dark til late (you'd know a bit about that, living in Sweden). 

Oh yes, I know too well about that. However, there a lot of targets that can be viewed in twilight, like planets, Moon, and some bright variable and double stars.

I got my thoughts on that one  ,for fast sweeps of the sky, without getting the flowerpots to the floor.when you got it in position--you run for the big one...