Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which 'budget' binoviewers?

3 hours ago, Live_Steam_Mad said:

I notice that Baader do a 1.25x GPC for your Mark V ;-

http://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/accessories/optical-accessories/barlow-lenses-coma-and-glaspathcorrectors/glaspathcorrectorr-1125-for-baader-mark-v-großfeld-binocular.html

...as well as one for the MaxBright binoviewer. Have you tried or thought of trying this to reduce the magnification with your LS60? I wonder if it would allow eyepieces to come to focus with a Mark V or MaxBright in my smaller Lunt 50 ?

Regards,

Alistair G.

No, I do not own the x1.25. I did not think it would be enough for me to reach focus so I have not bought one :) 

As my main binoviewer eyepieces are the 24 and 19 panoptics, the x1.7 works well to hit the sweet spot magnifications for my double stack setup. Although i dream of a pair of 18.2 delite to try with my setup, I just cannot justify buying them when I already have the panoptic 19s and Delos 17.3 pairs :) )

The ls60 produces a much brighter image than the ls50 so magnification is less of an issue. Plus I am not a believer in too much magnification for the sun. The panoptic24mm acting as a 15mm picks out so many details with a crisp sharp focus, that I always end up coming back to them (after trying more magnification) they give a wonderful immersive relaxed view.

You can test your setup as it is now. If you can almost reach focus then a x1.25 may be ok. If you are nowhere near then better buy x1.7 instead. Or play around with some barlows... if you own some barlows try them as they are for the full stated x whatever magnification value, then remove the lens from the Barlow and attach it direct to bino for a reduced magnification x value.

Alan

Edited by alanjgreen

2 hours ago, Live_Steam_Mad said:

I notice that Baader do a 1.25x GPC for your Mark V ;-

http://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/accessories/optical-accessories/barlow-lenses-coma-and-glaspathcorrectors/glaspathcorrectorr-1125-for-baader-mark-v-großfeld-binocular.html

...as well as one for the MaxBright binoviewer. Have you tried or thought of trying this to reduce the magnification with your LS60? I wonder if it would allow eyepieces to come to focus with a Mark V or MaxBright in my smaller Lunt 50 ?

Regards,

Alistair G.

I've a Maxbright (use in my dobs) and a Lunt LS50.

I'd be very interested in anyone's success in BV-ing with the Lunt50.

I'm thinking of contacting Siebert Optics and asking if I am interpreting the website correctly in thinking that they may offer a solution:

http://www.siebertoptics.com/SiebertOptics-H alpha.html

I'll be sure to post what I learn.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, niallk said:

I've a Maxbright (use in my dobs) and a Lunt LS50.

I'd be very interested in anyone's success in BV-ing with the Lunt50.

I'm thinking of contacting Siebert Optics and asking if I am interpreting the website correctly in thinking that they may offer a solution:

http://www.siebertoptics.com/SiebertOptics-H alpha.html

I'll be sure to post what I learn.

I was about to buy off Harry but mine worked with the supplied GPC so I didn’t bother. But he was good at emails it’s just his website is hard to work out. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 05/06/2017 at 11:06, Racey said:

Lunt LS50 with B600 Blocking Filter: After a long exchange with Harry Siebert we decided the only feasible solution was disproportionately expensive given costs of his parts and import duties etc. May work with LS60 and a B1200 filter. But cost is still the same...

Apologies for returning to this thread. I have been trying to get WO Binoviewers working with a Lunt 50 (400 blocking filter). I've tried with the WO x1.6 and x2 nosepiece GPCs. No combination works for me, there just isn't enough inward focus.

Has anyone managed to get Binoviewers (preferably WO) working with a Lunt 50?

Malcolm