SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Leica 25 x 50 ASPH zoom & Baader VIP Barlow

Pig

I seem to have broken the new equipment / cloud rule that seems to follow us all and I managed first light with the Leica zoom on the second night after I received it, the VIP Barlow is something I have owned for quite some time now. Incidentally I did not know the VIP is apparently a match made in heaven for the Leica thus a double stroke of good luck.

Finding out about this marriage changed the dynamic of my first light and I simply concentrated on the number of configurations I could come up with, the termination of the half moon on a night with pretty good seeing turned out to be the a perfect subject.

Ok, I managed four configurations with the modular VIP, the first was 2.6 x and the zoom set at it highest power (8mm) so about 3mm, the result was quite annoying as I could not achieve focus as there was not enough inward travel on my scope... I will try this again at some point with the 1.25" diagonal which should be ok, but that is for another time.

I could not work out the last 3 configurations but they were between 1.7 and 2.2 x mag or 4.4 & 3.6 mm (227 x mag in my scope). I must say that I had forgotten just how brilliant and varied the lunar surface is and this zoom delivered some of the best views I have ever seen ? they were almost 3D leaving me completely gobsmacked, the detail along the termination was absolutely breathtaking, Plato was better than I have seen before and the alpine valley was pretty much spot on. In conclusion I would say this eyepiece is at least on par with the Nagler 3-6mm zoom only with added eyerelief and an abundance of FOV, anyone that has used the Nagler zoom will know just what this means and what a compliment it is to be compared to it....... I can say I am quite literally over the moon with the purchase of the ASPH.

Shaun ?

Great first light! :)

If I remember correctly, there is a very interesting thread by Yong, @YKSE here on SGL, describing his Leica ASPH with the different VIP combinations. That should be helpful.

Have a look at these (there might be more):

Hello Shaun - a heads up......

The supplied lens cap will eventually break the tabs that secure the rubber adjustable cup around the eye-lens.

I made a loose fiting end cap out of a plastic cap and lined it with felt to give a gentle fit

Optically I rate the ASPH as good as my Pentax 7 and 5mm XW's

3 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Hello Shaun - a heads up......

The supplied lens cap will eventually break the tabs that secure the rubber adjustable cup around the eye-lens.

I made a loose fiting end cap out of a plastic cap and lined it with felt to give a gentle fit

Optically I rate the ASPH as good as my Pentax 7 and 5mm XW's

Thank you for the heads up Dave, I will treat it as gently as possible ?

Congratulations Shaun.

I owned the older Leica Vario zoom a while back and was very impressed with it. I sold it to help fund a Pentax XL zoom which FLO had on offer and which I'd always wanted.

Good though the Pentax was, it was not any better than the Leica, and was much heavier, bulkier and stiffer in use.

I think your newer ASPH version is probably as good as it gets with current zoom technology, and seems to be universally acclaimed wherever it is reviewed.

Enjoy!?

Dave

Thank you Dave, I also used to a the Leica Vario and I was also very impressed with how it performed, it also played quite a large role in my judgement when opting for the ASPH ?

Archived