Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Novice

Hi,

completely new to astronomy and just wanted some advice. To start with, do I start with a basic telescope or get a slightly better pair of binoculars on a tripod. I'm really interested in seeing Saturn, Jupiter and the ISS. 

Cheers. 

A good pair of 10x50s is a good way to start of, that's how I started after all. But seeing how your interested in viewing planets, maybe it would be better to get a scope with a long focal length. It would also help to know your budget.

Get a scope to see the planets. Binoculars serve a slightly different purpose, useful but not the same. Although they are likely better to see the ISS as it moves faster across the sky.

I have seen Jupiter at 50-60x and Saturn at 120x. In effect 120x should do both fairly well.

What do you mean by a basic telescope - budget ? Astronomy is moving out of the inexpensive area. Bresser make a reasonable 102/1000 refractor, about £215-£220 if I recall right. But then you need a mount to put it on.

If you can find a good 80mm scope (Not the short 80mm offerings) then it might give 120x but it will be at the top of its performance, if it gets there. Do not believe the magnifications given, they tend to be optimistic.

One reasonable option is the Skywatcher Evostar 90. Add a 12mm BST and Jupiter should be good, when Saturn is more convenient try an 8mm BST. Slightly less in cost are the Vixen NPLplossls.

There are 150 dobsonians which again should be fine and with practise and luck you may be able to follow the ISS with one, but it will take learning, not immediate results. You can expect a bit of a learning curve with a dobsonian mounted scope.

Will add this: http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/Clubs/Counties.aspx

Stamford is in Lincs (I think) but the clubs for Lincs are well away and you are close to Peterborough and N'hants

1 hour ago, SjWillo said:

Hi,

completely new to astronomy and just wanted some advice. To start with, do I start with a basic telescope or get a slightly better pair of binoculars on a tripod. I'm really interested in seeing Saturn, Jupiter and the ISS. 

Cheers. 

Binoculars on a tripod lose the easy handling, better have hand-held binocs, and a telescope separately. How much do you want to spend in astro gear?

A telescope is the way to go if you want to see the rings of Saturn and the equatorial-band on Jupiter - or it's Great Red Spot (GRS - as we call it). Or see the Moons of Jupiter to aid you in identifying them by name.

And yes - your budget would help greatly. You can spend millions of $$$ or £££'s. Lesser amounts need a better benchmark! :p

My 2¢,

Dave

PS - Greetings and welcome to SGL - where we thrive on helping to find answers to questions such as yours. So no need to be shy about asking!

Archived