Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help identifying two objects tracing the sky

Any help with this one?

I live at 49°N and was out at 10:30pm CST.  I saw two bodies traveling just below Vega and moving in the same line.  Not parallel, but in line with one another.  The one in front was of greater magnitude and I would compare the brightness to the ISS.  The one in back was dimmer by at least half.  I saw now indication of blinking or variation in path from either.  They stayed visible until heading closer to the horizon, at which point the distance was to great to distinguish.  

I can't really figure what it was.  I assume it could be high altitude planes, but it seems odd that they would be illuminated, and that they would illuminate at different intensities that never varied.  

I honestly envisioned the ISS towing a vessel or something. :) 

Any help with this conundrum would be greatly appreciated!!!

I suggest you get a copy of Previsat (an excellent satellite-tracker program - free - linked below). It may identify things you see up there. Or, at least, rule some out. But only about 40% of satellites are listed as even existing. The rest are "Classified Secret."

https://sourceforge.net/projects/previsat/

As I was doing some work with my copy of Previsat earlier this evening, I noted that the ISS and the Chinese space-station - Tiangong 2 - were in a very close orbit quite near one another. Might have been those two - but that's just a guess. And one of the two Soyuz capsules that were at the ISS went back to Earth today, carrying two Russian Cosmonauts back home. It was Soyuz 3 that returned, leaving Soyuz 4 at the ISS as their 'lifeboat.'

Happy Tracking -

Dave

Looking at Calsky you actually have a choice for 22:28 and 22:29 all within a few seconds of each other and all on a similar path.

Since one was brighter I will guess that it was Dragon-CRS-11, followed by 17030A or 17030-C. You will see from A and C there should be a B and there is at the same time but apparently on a different track - seems a bit odd.

Had to assume Winnipeg, but seems a fair choice.

If you go to Calsky then it takes your location, you can select Satellites then satellites by time interval, enter the date and 22:00 and a  hour interval and it will (Should) show a list of the options. If somehow it does not identify where you are then it is mayhem trying to get the right location in to it.

So according to calsky. I would have been seeing Dragon-CRS-11 and a satellite right being with 0.3deg different of trajectory?  

Wow, I'm blown away by being able to see Dragon-CRS-11. Very cool. Thanks for this resource as well. It all worked very well. 

8 hours ago, Mick J said:

Northward, did you see melsky's post in the lounge ?

I literally just checked it out.  So awesome!  I'm honestly dumbfounded by how lucky I was to see this just while taking the dog for a walk.  I always look up, but was just working on mapping the sky in my head, rather than trying to note a Dragon CRS!

Thanks for linking it, very thoughtful. 

Archived