SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon from brasov valley on iphone 5s (UPDATE)

Ahgii

Hello all, this is an update for my previous post. Stayed on my feet for 2 hrs, but it was worth. I got really good pictures, 2 videos and 1 timelapse that turned really cool. Jupiter seeing was poor unfortunately. Found out that trying to magnify with your phone is actually good. Anyways I will upload the videos as sono as i can. Please tell me your thoughts on the pictures that were made on a phone until then, i also included a picture of my setup. Clear skies!

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2212.JPG

IMG_2216.JPG

IMG_2217.JPG

IMG_2219.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2236.JPG

IMG_2237.JPG

IMG_2238.JPG

IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

9 hours ago, Galen Gilmore said:

The last 9 of them were pretty good! 

As Phillip R said before, is this your first attempt?

No, it's actually my second, thats why it says updated. I also think i caught jupiter, in the pictures with the bright dot, not sure what that is. Unfortunately some of the pictures look unclear because when i pressed the photo button the telescope shook, at least at higher mag when it was visible. Clear skies!

10 hours ago, Philip R said:

Not bad, Aghll. Is this your first attempt?

BTW - welcome to SGL. :hello2: 

No, it's not my first attempt, actually 2nd, well at least 2nd proper attempt because i wouldnt count looking from a window in the middle of a city. Now i let the telescope cool down and all that. Still got poor views of jupiter, mind telling me why? Clear skies!

11 hours ago, Ahgii said:

Unfortunately some of the pictures look unclear because when i pressed the photo button the telescope shoo

I encountered the same problem and bought a Bluetooth shutter off Amazon for a few quid. No need to touch the phone to take the picture then :)

Hi Ahgii - Really great efforts, I had my first year with that telescope before I upgraded, and what a great year it was.

Looking back with what I know now I would say the the MD on that scope is gimmicky for sure.  Try recording 10 second films with your phone and then using that to stack a final image - you will be surprised with the result!

You can read for hours on the internet about what equipment you need for this or that but really at the end of the day, all you need is some equipment and tons of enthusiasm and will get great results - keep up the good work! :headbang:

Here is my scope, a 17mm eyepiece with a moon filter (highly recommended) with phone adapter, I used an iPhone 6:

Scope.jpg

Moon 2016.jpg

7 hours ago, AstroKane said:

Hi Ahgii - Really great efforts, I had my first year with that telescope before I upgraded, and what a great year it was.

Looking back with what I know now I would say the the MD on that scope is gimmicky for sure.  Try recording 10 second films with your phone and then using that to stack a final image - you will be surprised with the result!

You can read for hours on the internet about what equipment you need for this or that but really at the end of the day, all you need is some equipment and tons of enthusiasm and will get great results - keep up the good work! :headbang:

Here is my scope, a 17mm eyepiece with a moon filter (highly recommended) with phone adapter, I used an iPhone 6:

Scope.jpg

Moon 2016.jpg

i will try stacking the images! Also have another problem, i noticed some of my images are just focused on a specific part of the moon, and the other part is not that great. And can i do 3 rgb 10 sec  videos with the 3 color filters? Clear skies!

With the phone adapters you can spend a bit of time jiggling them about to get the image to appear fully on the phone - this is just a trial and error procedure each time! I assume you are using the stock eyepieces...a 10mm and 20mm if I recall. You might want to use the 20mm to fit the whole thing in.

One addition that I purchased early on was the Celestron eyepiece and filter kit. This has a range of Plossl eyepieces and filters (including moon) that should give you plenty to experiment with. I am only just about to upgrade some of the eyepieces myself. You sure are at the exciting stage of this hobby - it only gets more addictive! Good luck!

Archived