SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Late Horsehead and friends

My set up(s) in Spain rapidly approach.  New RH in the garage to go to the Obs tomorrow for testing then all stuff shipped out this month, exciting!

As a little tease, Kayron Mercieca provided me with a sample data set so I can see what the 'seeing' is like.  RGB only 20x600 per channel.

5932fee437bc7_IC434_FinalV2.thumb.png.7f994ed638d5d5cf99a01e78065a36f2.png

I was very impressed with this data and the fact this is produced with no lum data even more so!  To date, it is by far the best HH i have produced.  It is also making me seriously rethink Lum use in nebulae.

Looks like the wait and investment will be worth it.  3 scopes going live in next 6 months - watch this space as they say :) 

C&C Welcome.

Hi Patrick,

I must have missed your threads on your upcoming remote setups, but that is such a dynamic image.

There is so much going on/ to look at!

Good luck with the remote imaging ?

What a wonderful image! For me... I would love to move to a village or more rural setting for darker skies. Having said that, i do get a thrill from producing images from my garden, with its problems of lp and restricted views. I can only dream of producing a horsehead like that but there is always the challenge of getting the best from my own gear and garden!

37 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Hi Patrick,

I must have missed your threads on your upcoming remote setups, but that is such a dynamic image.

There is so much going on/ to look at!

Good luck with the remote imaging ?

No threads few people just know through chit chat.  More details on it in due course (a modest little business venture :) ).

Thanks for comments - looking forward to my data from there in next few months.

23 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

That'll do nicely. Seeing we can only dream of here.

Thaks Richard - Not too shabby.  Now to close the loop, get the testing done here and get it out there.

3 minutes ago, StargeezerTim said:

What a wonderful image! For me... I would love to move to a village or more rural setting for darker skies. Having said that, i do get a thrill from producing images from my garden, with its problems of lp and restricted views. I can only dream of producing a horsehead like that but there is always the challenge of getting the best from my own gear and garden!

Me too - I have an Obs here in Worcester, nice to keep a hand in and my 'man shed' :) - always nice to capture data locally with all the challenges but also nice to have the option of some guaranteed very high-quality data.  I am just a glutton for punishment and will be gathering local data and testing new kit there all the time.

I actually like the challenges and keeping abreast of things there.

I also like making pictures - so remote data is the way forward for that. 

Thanks for comments.

6 hours ago, mike005 said:

Congratulations  on a wonderful image - one of the best I've seen of this target.  You must be very pleased with it.

Thanks Mike, yes I am pleased with it. The best I have managed and think it stands up well to other versions.  Now just need to cover the rest of the area this winter :) 

1 minute ago, wxsatuser said:

Impressive image Paddy and no L, that will save a lot of time.

Will that work on all targets or just bright ones?

Thanks Mike, to be honest, was the first time I have encountered, certainly works though.   The theory is for the brighter nebulae lum washes out the texture and data, still required for galaxies and dimmer objects.

Some more experimenting required, i will review over next few months.  I am not 100% convinced som additional lum would not have been useful for details but how much detail do you need at this resolution?

I'll keep you posted with any findings.

Stunning Paddy! Cannot remember having seen a better version of the Horse and Flame. I assume your new site in the darkest corner of Spain is this one:

http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/about-e-eye.html

I know at least one other SGLer setting up there right now.

Just hope that your equipment does not get confiscated after Brexit:icon_albino:

5 hours ago, toxic said:

beaut Paddy judging what you have produced up to now i cant wait to see what comes next best of luck.

Thanks Chris - will be nice to get back to it so to speak.  Lot of effort gone into the project despite its modest scale.  All my learning going into a couple of scopes that hopefully will deliver what I want.  Fingers crossed. 

Paddy,

there is no such thing as a late Horse Head and friends, it's always a pleasure to see these at any time, especially an image of such good quality.

very best of luck with your venture.

Tim

On 2017-06-04 at 17:50, PatrickGilliland said:

All my learning going into a couple of scopes that hopefully will deliver what I want.  Fingers crossed. 

Superb image Paddy!

I'm eagerly waiting to see the images from these telescopes you speak of!:thumbsup:

21 hours ago, Cozzy said:

Paddy,

there is no such thing as a late Horse Head and friends, it's always a pleasure to see these at any time, especially an image of such good quality.

very best of luck with your venture.

Tim

Thanks Tim, of course I have scope one hear now and the clouds have set in so can not even test.  It will all get there though.

15 hours ago, Rudeviewer said:

One of the most amazing images of the horsehead i have ever seen

Thanks - lots of versions out there so appreciate the comment.

13 hours ago, bob-c said:

Absolute stunner Paddy.

bob.

Thanks Bob

8 hours ago, jetstream said:

Superb image Paddy!

I'm eagerly waiting to see the images from these telescopes you speak of!:thumbsup:

Thanks Gerry - so do i, darn clouds delying testing.  Might just have to do in Spain instead :) 

The image has a very apparent 3D effect--great image--maybe the best I have ever seen--certainly for the data.  I too have often wondered about the advantages of a lum channel.  Often times when I am processing, I am not sure I like the LRGB image better than teh RGB image just prior to the lum addition.  The advantage of the  added may not fully reveal itself until it is fully processed.  Not sure.

Rodd

5 hours ago, Rodd said:

The image has a very apparent 3D effect--great image--maybe the best I have ever seen--certainly for the data.  I too have often wondered about the advantages of a lum channel.  Often times when I am processing, I am not sure I like the LRGB image better than teh RGB image just prior to the lum addition.  The advantage of the  added may not fully reveal itself until it is fully processed.  Not sure.

Rodd

Thanks Rodd - I will certainly be experimenting more with RGB over the next few months and see if I can get close to this standard again.  I think also Lum use or exclusion may need to be decided on a target by target basis.  Let's see how it goes.

Archived