Banner.jpg.32030495336bee81a52546621b6f39a2.jpg

EQ5 power supply help!

Hi all! I'm soon going to get an EQ5 mount with the RA motor drive, but what do I need to power this sucker? I know it needs to be a 6v, but beyond that and I'm lost. I asked the question on somebody else's thread, but I have just ended up more confused...

Thanks in advance, and clear skies.

One of these will keep you going for many hours - can be recharged from any trickle charger that does 6 volts - with the money you would spend on  'D' cells it will pay for itself very quickly !!

https://www.batteryclerk.co.uk/ajc-6v-10ah-sealed-lead-acid-agm-vrla-battery.html?gclid=CMOdlfaVotQCFfgV0wodKOwKbw

2 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

The motor drive should come with a battery holder pack that holds 4x 'D' cells. The RA drive runs for ages on that

Thanks, that's just what I need to just get started.

3 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Just noticed you are not in the UK - any 6 volt battery will do the job - they are commonly used in burglar alarm systems.

Ok, I might buy one of those once I use up the rest of the D batteries.

The EQ3/EQ5 mounts with the std 6V drives are quite happy with 5V so you can use mobile phone/tablet power banks but you would need to modify a std USB cable by fitting a suitable 2.1 x 5.5 mm connector.

Alan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

The EQ3/EQ5 mounts with the std 6V drives are quite happy with 5V so you can use mobile phone/tablet power banks but you would need to modify a std USB cable by fitting a suitable 2.1 x 5.5 mm connector.

Alan

Good to know, thanks.

I always use the D-cell batteries, they last a very long time, and they are cheap, also the wires are 

out of the way, to me it's the best and easiest way, and a fast set up too.

• Like 1

I use mobile power banks too after Alan's suggestion and they work very well. Buy 2 or 3 and then you always have one ready.  I occasionally even use them on my phone! :0)

Make sure the mount is 6v though as some are 12v

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Moonshane said:

I use mobile power banks too after Alan's suggestion and they work very well. Buy 2 or 3 and then you always have one ready.  I occasionally even use them on my phone! :0)

Make sure the mount is 6v though as some are 12v

It is 6v, the synscan version 12v I think.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the EQ5 with the enhanced dual axis drives which is definitely 6v. The 4x D cells should last for ages but I've just got myself a 6v 3.3 Ah NIMH rechargeable RC battery pack which should last for even longer.

Ade