SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is this the death of the Powertank

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/14-member-equipment-reviews/?do=add#https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/14-member-equipment-reviews/?do=add#https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/14-member-equipment-reviews/?do=add#My 12V power supply died when my beloved left it flat....

I looked around at possibly a new Powertank and found this.

P1010248.thumb.JPG.98713be2bb66d7f62abe12947c34252e.JPG

Yes it really is not much bigger than my mobile phone if a fair bit thicker.

P1010249.thumb.JPG.7cdfd0a767a477ccf287c88f3222714a.JPG

It has a good LED torch built in to annoy folks at star parties  but no red light.... mind I always found the powertank difficult to balance on my head when observing so use a head torch.

Is it man enough to do the job???

P1010251.thumb.JPG.cb38c432a08fbd9519b41025e917d73f.JPG

well correct me if I am wrong but the charge is bigger than the large powertank I had. AND its designed to jump start your car....... WHOOOOOHHH

It comes with car Jump leads, a 12V out socket (.... yes only one but it will take a double adapter) , two USB leads to fit its 2 USB charging ports and a very sexy case.

It was also a lot cheaper.....

What do you guys think, anyone used one yet. I will let you know when darkness returns.

Clear DARK skies.

Bigwings

P1010250.JPG

• Like 6

Very interesting find, its suitability depends if it's a deep cycle battery or not, in other words will it discharge under demand over a period of time and recharge ok over many cycles, time will tell.

Edited by Alan White

5 minutes ago, darknight said:

and how much is this, ? be great if it works

£69.99  and its easy to find on a huge on line marketing companies website.

It seems to have great reviews.

• Portable Car Cigarette Lighter: A compact power source for your car appliances up to 120W, conveniently charge your car refrigerator, inflator, and vacuum on-the-go
  • Over 20 Boosts on 1 Charge: 600A peak current jump starts diesel engines (up to 3L) and gasoline engines (up to 6L) over 20 times on 1 charge; 15V/1A DC input provides a full recharge in 5 hours.
  • Safer and Longer Lasting: Smart plug is safeguarded against all hazards; lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery provides increased life cycle, stability, and conductivity
  • 3 Day Survival Flashlight with Retractable Handle: Enjoy up to 72 hours of emergency illumination with 3 modes (ON, Warning, and SOS) to help you see and be seen in the dark. A retractable handle comes handy for when you just need to grab and go

P1010250.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to the specifications it is only 57.6W/h, at least it claims to use LiFePO4 batteries.

I use one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/20000mAh-Multi-Voltage-Portable-Notebooks-Compatible/dp/B00BUJCMUQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Which is a similar size but is 74W/h but I don't need very high peaks of power with my kit.

Edited by StuartJPP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skipper Billy said:

It's either 'Over' or it's 'Out' - it can never be both !!!

Its something that really irritates me in war films, submarine movies etc etc ;-)

Roger that ?

• Like 2

On 16/06/2017 at 14:05, Skipper Billy said:

Its something that really irritates me in war films, submarine movies etc etc ;-)

Wilco.

Well if its got the same sort of tech onboard as my mobile phone charger you might be pleasantly surprised.  I got mobile phone boosters last year.  About as big as 3-4 packs of playing cards and a fair weight for its size it reckonned it gave 18000mAhrs.  All I know is it did stirling service keeping the kids two mobile phones charged for a whole week.  The only draw back is from fairly empty it can take over a day to recharge!   However it is that good that I got anothet for my bro to take to festivals!

Edited by JOC

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2017 at 17:08, Alan White said:

Very interesting find, its suitability depends if it's a deep cycle battery or not, in other words will it discharge under demand over a period of time and recharge ok over many cycles, time will tell.

It is a jump start battery not deep cycle, looks ok if it holds a charge for 5 or 6 hours running dew my heater 

On 6/16/2017 at 14:05, Skipper Billy said:

Unless it's Captain over, out, haha

• Haha 1