Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep33_banner.thumb.jpg.75d09b4b1b4e5bdb1393e57ce45e6a32.jpg

orfest

Buying lens and mirrors

Hi friends,

I'd like to make this sunspotter device for my personal use.

It seems that I need to buy the following components:

- Achromatic lens, 60mm, focal distance 700mm

- Mirror 50mm x 50mm

- 2 Mirrors 25mm x 25mm

But I can't find any website selling any of those :help:.

I've seen lots of parabolic mirrors being sold in sizes >= 6'', I've seen tiny achromatic lenses, or lenses costing a fortune.

Any advice on where to get lenses and mirrors is appreciated.

I haven't looked for the plywood yet, but getting it should be easy :) 

You could try contacting Ian Poyser:

http://irpoyser.co.uk/lenses/

He might have something suitable not listed on his web site.

An alternative source for the achromatic doublet is to buy an old refractor telescope such as the Tasco type and take the lens from that.

Flat mirrors can be obtained from old photocopiers but you would have to cut them down to size.

Nigel

Edited by Astrobits

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pincs
      Hi, I got a skywatcher skyliner 200p dobisonian a few days ago, my first observing session was out in the cold and the telescope dewed up when I bought it back in. I then noticed that the glass on the base of the telescope(not the primary mirror inside) was smudged and had a little ring shaped scratch on it. I tried cleaning with a lense cloth but it is still slightly dcratched and smudged. Does anyone know if this makes a difference to the inside primary mirror?
    • By racprops
      I need a Celestron C8 telescope main Lens cap.

And a source of used parts as well. Thanks.
      Rich

• By Corpze
      Hi, I know that there has been a couple of threads on how to collimate a newtonian, more specific, how to center the secondary mirror under the focuser.
      I bought mine "Concenter eyepiece" for almost a year ago and can't praise it enough - it makes centering the secondary a breeze.

Have anyone else tried this? What is your opinion?

I have also read that some have questions of how accurate it is? - I might not know the answer to this question, but what I do know is that after I have been centering the secondary with the Concenter eyepiece, I finish of the collimation with the Catseye XLKP and Blackcat. The small adjustments I have to make of the secondary after adjusting it with the Concenter eyepiece tells me it is very accurate. It is just the absolute finest adjustments i have to make afterwards.

I have made a video of how it works and how it looks like when I am collimating my scope. (10" f3,4 astrograph)

Best regards, Daniel

• By DiZZyViZiON
      Hi. Complete newbie to the hobby here. Just purchased a Meade Lightbridge 130 for my daughter as an upgrade to her Skywatcher Infinity 76. I'd like for her to see the rings of Saturn sometime with her new scope. Would getting a better lens improve her chances of a good view of the rings of Saturn? And if so, what lens would you recommend. Thank you
    • By billyb93
      I currently have a Canon T6 with a Opteka 500mm f8 lens ($87) that I use for lunar and solar photography. I recently purchased a full frame Canon EOS R and am thinking about getting a 800mm f11 Canon RF lens ($899). Will the quality on the new canon lens be significantly better than my Opteka lens? Is it worth the upgrade? Also, should I use my new full frame or my crop sensor (1.6 factor) to shoot? I want to get the best quality possible. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.