Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which set up for sitting at in a normal chair, without contortions?

Well I have done my back in for the second time in a year, my observing is being stopped.

Poor posture such as when using my ED100 is not helping, other things are also in play also.

At present I cannot look at the refractor due to bending, it's on the riser column etc. 

So how can I get observing seated in a normal chair without contorting myself?

I tried just using binoculars, but unless I go over my present 10 x 50 I am not enjoying myself.

I have bought a used ST80 to try on my Giro Ercole to see if it is good set up for posture for me, but I may be looking at a longer term solution, depends on the doctor and physio but I am looking at a suitable set up for the darker nights.

As always your varied and interesting views will be appreciated.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found when i used my old (and missed) TAL100 on AZ4 with NO riser i could sit in a garden chair and observe in relative comfort.

You might find long term an 8" dob may be a good tool but try one first (seated)

A Newtonian can be configured so that the altitude axis coincides with the eyepiece position. It would need an Ercole/SkyTee type mount and the OTA would have to be counterweighted forward of the front of the tube. This arrangement would provide a fixed eyepiece height accessible from your favourite chair, the only movement being in azimuth.   :icon_biggrin:

Not a dob for sure, totally backbreaking, the only setup I know of that can keep an eyepiece at a similar position is an EQ mount with a rotatable tube although an SCT type scope on alt az type mounts are ok.

Alan

Sympathy regarding your back. Backs are complicated things but I'm guessing from what you say that you have a  re-occurrence of the same problem/injury and bending and twisting (especially at the same time) is bad news.  Have you had a good diagnosis of the issue and  a recommended treatment. It would be good to sort your back out so you can enjoy your astronomy.

Ian,

Thank you, I damaged it about 2 years ago falling over.

It will be ok as long as I keep it strong and working, which I do at the gym about 3 times a week, however twisting and bending at once as you say causes it problems.

Stupidly I caused it problems picking up a pencil of all things last week, the refractor on any mount has me twisting about at times and combined with the cold is not good.   

Looking at options at the minute to ensure I continue observing.

Definitely shorter tube scopes for posture, maybe something like a C6 or C8 on an alt/az, if you don't mind goto a Celestron 6SE or Evo6 would be good?

I've also found that my 150p on an EQ3 is good for posture when standing at least, less back ache compared to my Dob, well no back ache so far! The trick is to have the focuser inline but pointing away from the counterweight shaft. I used to think Newt's on EQ mounts were way too fiddly with rotating the OTA etc until I found this little trick, but since I've implemented this the eyepiece always seems to fall at a comfortable height and I've been very comfortable. Also I can track objects with the motor drives :) Some may not agree with what I've just said...I wouldn't have a while back!

1 minute ago, Alan White said:

Stupidly I caused it problems picking up a pencil of all things last week

The awkward thing with the way the spin/ nerves work is that you can damage your back and not feel a thing and then its the small movement that causes a nerve to touch and bang - it lets you know! Keeping it healthy is good. I've had the occasional related problem and I have great respect for physios for help and advice.

Hi Alan,

On a more serious note than my previous post, my FC100DC  makes an arc of 33cm from horizon to zenith, so i can sit or stand using very little bending of my back or neck. Rotating the diagonal for comfort eases the strain too. The tube assembly is very light and can be carried with one hand or cradled in one arm like a baby. The only scope I can think of that would be as easy to use, though not with the same range of use, would be a 127mm Mak Cass.

Mike

Sitting down, plus potential problems with my back are the main reasons I went for a Celestron Evolurion 8. I can now sit for hours observing, using a normal height metal folding chair plus three cushions for height adjustment. I use it on the lowest tripod setting, i.e. Legs not extended. 

Eric

9 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Definitely shorter tube scopes for posture, maybe something like a C6 or C8 on an alt/az, if you don't mind goto a Celestron 6SE or Evo6 would be good?

I've also found that my 150p on an EQ3 is good for posture when standing at least, less back ache compared to my Dob, well no back ache so far! The trick is to have the focuser inline but pointing away from the counterweight shaft. I used to think Newt's on EQ mounts were way too fiddly with rotating the OTA etc until I found this little trick, but since I've implemented this the eyepiece always seems to fall at a comfortable height and I've been very comfortable. Also I can track objects with the motor drives :) Some may not agree with what I've just said...I wouldn't have a while back!

This is exactly my findings, a short tubed scope always helps of course.

Alan

Well I can update slightly, my ST80 arrived from Rick aka Recceranger here on SGL and the scope heights good for me to sit ok.

With a little help from my daughter the tripod etc was put on patio and I had 10 minutes lunar observing, the sky would have supported more, my back would not however.

Big smiles all round as I thought the ST80 may not be up to much, a diamond in the rough, but a diamond all the same.

Getting any view through a scope at present was just wonderful ?

I am surprised that with situations like Alan has that there is no mention of the --STAT type telescopes where an adjustable mirror is used to relay light into a fixed telescope. There are a number of options but I am not aware of any manufacturer offering these, so all need to be made to order ( = expensive ).

Binoculars can also be used this way by pointing them down at a mirror.

This one at the 1900 World Exhibition in Paris might be a little on the large size but would cure aperture fever:happy2:

Nigel

terraoko-2016090925-6.jpg

I agree with the suggestions if short tube scopes with a rotatable diagonal at the back. Then aim for the diagonal to be rotated so that the eyepiece is pointing out level or only slightly upwards.

Then set the seat height so that your sitting up straight and looking straight forwards or only slightly downwards into the eyepiece.

In my experience it's the finders that make my back ache more than observing.  The addition of another finder shoe or rdf base might help especially with a newtonian.

With fracs I just turn the diagonal.

What about attaching a camera to the drawtube and looking at a laptop screen?  

A Mallincam is one I have heard of good for this purpose and I think there are other newer ones available but don't know the names. I know the purist observers will say this is not the same as using your eye, but in these circumstances, better than hurting your back further, and better than no astronomy at all.   If I find other suitable cameras I'll add to this post. 

Carole 

On 02/06/2017 at 21:19, CraigT82 said:

SCT or Mak on a decent height tripod with the diagonal turned to the side, can sit in a chair bolt upright and look straight into the ep

I'd second this. Cats tend to have the smallest amount of travel in thh eyepiece position between the horizon and the zenith,. Still some, but not outside the "normal" range of sitting postures provided you get the mount set at the right height.

Archived