SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Autoguider PHD2 and EQMOD SETTINGS!

Hello All

Im using a eq6 and I'm having all sorts of problems with my guiding. I used to be without guider to get 2 minutes easily but now I'm struggling to get good shots whatever I choose. 

So first of all EQMOD what do people use for the RA settings for the autoguider in EQMOD? I have fiddled about with every one of them but no real improvement. What do others use?

In PHD2 I have done the settings for my guide camera which is a asi120mm and the focal length of the scope is done along with the sensor size. 

On the PHD I've moved just about everything and nothing seems to work well enough. Can anyone give me their basic settings to see if that helps. 

The only thing I've changed is my way to do polar alignment I'm now using the EQMOD polar align process which might have affected it but I'm still getting objects on my gotos so I was wondering if cone error would do it also? Is drift alignment essential? I don't think so. I did do it on the south meridian as I've got views that way but not so much on the north. 

Help! Please guys and girls I wasted a whole session just fiddling and ended up with 8 exposures of M20 which you can see below. 

IMG_4382.thumb.jpg.25fe1195699d169b938849008be2a7e6.jpg

Coming from an EQ3Pro owner's perspective, that looks good to me.  I see a bit of 'egginess' to the stars though.  Is this the problem you are having?  I also notice that the left side is greyer than the right side but I'm sure this isn't from guiding - I expect it is skyglow of some sort.

I use ASCOM Pulse guiding (not ST4) set to 0.7 for RA and DEC.   Here's an idea to try... In PHD2, create an entirely new equipment profile using the autodetect settings wherever you can.  Then run a new PHD2 calibration.  Then run the guiding assistant for a good long period (one worm cycle at least0 and accept the suggestions it makes.  Then when you go back to guiding, only change one parameter at a time.

If you can get the guide logs and post them at the PHD2 Google Group, the authors will take a look for you.  They helped me greatly when I recently took up guiding.  They usually reply within 24 hours...

Also, for polar alignment, have you tried the SharpCap PA tool? (free!)  It's fast and appears to be quite accurate

Hi

0.7 wow I know Chris Shintillo suggested not to use it above the 0.5 mark in his videos so I haven't tried it like that. I'm assuming you mean in EQMOD not PHD?

I did try the guiding assistant but didn't really help. The only thing I haven't tried is the width pulse which may help. 

Thanks!

0.7 in EQMOD, indeed!  on my particular mount, 0.5 wasn't enough (always chasing) and 0.9 was too much (always overshooting) .  In the dark art of guiding, I have discovered that if it works, don't ask questions, just write the settings down! :-)

I believe the advice from PHD2 authors is to avoid changing anything in EQMOD except for maybe the multiplier (0.7 in both RA and DEC for me).  Let PHD2 do the hard work without it getting confused by any external help from EQMOD.

Archived