Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar X tonight?

Stu

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Just got back in about 20 mins ago. Great views of both the X and the V. Seeing very steady on the moon. Managed to get some shots with the iPhone at the eyepiece, and a video too which shows the X well, and the V floating in and out of view at the top. Very pleased with the results seen as this was my first ever observation of both the X & the V!  ???

IMG_2770.MOV

Excellent picture Gus, well done. I attempted the same thing but failed miserably.

I also had not seen the Lunar  X before. :happy11:

16 hours ago, Stu said:

I have a note that the Lunar X is visible tonight, 21..36 UT, is that correct? Not sure if that is a start time or a best time to see it.

Thanks for the heads up on this - I quickly fired up the observatory and using totally the wrong camera (Deep Sky) and filter (Ha) I gave it a try despite the incorrect orientation (that was set for last nights deep sky imaging run) - I am really a deep sky kinda guy ....... :icon_biggrin:.

5931417211568_LunarX010617.thumb.png.e36f4b0f96450a01d2b64ee368ea0e47.png

6 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Nicely done Steve. Not bad for a dabble with the wrong gear!

I really should take more interest in our satellite as I do find it a fascinating object.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Yes indeed Steve! Glad you caught it :)

Thanks, I'm so pleased you flagged this up as I would have missed it normally as I only really keep an eye on DS events.

I didn't think that I'd captured the V, but thanks to your image and annotation I now know I did. Now I have to work on getting my images up to your standard!

Went for a slightly different approach to orientation as mine didn't look right to me. Next time I'll try to get it earlier, especially as the Q shaped crater has a rough edge that for a short period casts some fantastic long shadows along the crater floor :)

Lunar X.png

Just now, steppenwolf said:

Excellent, your 'cross' is much more clearly defined than mine!

Thanks. That was more by luck than judgement as the photos were only experimental ones from my mak 127 run through AS!3, with a quick stretch in GIMP for contrast

Archived